Material Libraries

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
pbacot
SketchUp: 2019

Material Libraries

Post by pbacot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:49 pm

Where can I learn more about TL material libraries? I have looked at the Deep Materials pdf, but I see no Deep Materials choice in my TL plugin menu.
I want to know:

1. How to save a material, which I have developed in TL materials editor, for use in other models.
2. How to access a saved material. How can I access a "library".
3. Material libraries are supposed to be the "same as Kerkythea" libraries. Where are they situated--is there a TX folder for each render? Understanding the approach to file management can help keep resources together, if I decide to use TL.
4. How can I access/use materials or libraries that I (or others) have already created in Kerky, in TL renders.
5. Where is my Deep Editor (not in the TL plugin menu) and how are materials developed there saved and accessed to be applied in TL during render setup?

Basically once I have a material that is successful in one rendering, I will use it in others (until a design calls for a specific change or a whole new material). I don't want to spend the time to rebuild materials for each project or SU file.

Thanks, Peter

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Material Libraries

Post by Chris » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:05 pm

The Deep Material Editor is only available in the Pro version. It provides a complete solution for saving and loading material libraries, as well as importing existing KT libraries.
The Template Material Editor can not use material libraries (that's not its purpose).

We are looking into the possibility of saving Twilight Render data to SketchUp's SKM libraries in order to create more reusable materials.

pbacot

Post by pbacot » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:51 pm

So... Is this correct?

1. I have version 2.0 Professional--but it is for trial on the Mac and the trial version does NOT have the Deep material editor.
2. There IS a way to use past materials you've made and apply them to you current project?
3. The template materials editor can't re-use materials you've made or modified. Therefore the simplfied method available here is only for one time use--I have to use the more complicated Deep editor system to save materials, if I don't want to keep repeating the same work for each project.
4. If I wish to have access to to stored materials that I have already created I need to have the full licensed pro version, but there's no testing whether I'd like this process or not.

Personally I have taken to the Materials editor. It's enough for the renderings I usually work on. I don't really want to use a complicated system ( I have that in KT). It appears to be the main way to apply materials to the drawing. I don't quite see why there are two separate systems of handling materials or how the Deep Mat. Editor will allow me to relate to the model.

I like your idea of having the materials tie to SU material. That would be great (isn't that what KT tries to do--doesn't always work it seems).

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 pm

pbacot wrote:So... Is this correct?
1. I have version 2.0 Professional--but it is for trial on the Mac and the trial version does NOT have the Deep material editor.
Hobby is not a trial version. Hobby simply does not have Deep Material Editor.
2. There IS a way to use past materials you've made and apply them to you current project?
This is same as Twilight Render has always been, either save a special file with the materials you want to save already applied to a surface somewhere in that model, then insert your saved materials model and use SketchUp's bucket tool to sample/ copy those materials over to your current model...
The beauty of templates is that they are so quick and simple to use and sort of eliminate the need for libraries in many cases. There are still some libraries you would want, say stone pavers, or wood veneers, then just create a single model with all those mats in one and you can insert and sample this to your new project.
3. The template materials editor can't re-use materials you've made or modified. Therefore the simplfied method available here is only for one time use--I have to use the more complicated Deep editor system to save materials, if I don't want to keep repeating the same work for each project.
correct.
4. If I wish to have access to to stored materials that I have already created I need to have the full licensed pro version, but there's no testing whether I'd like this process or not.
correct.
Personally I have taken to the Materials editor. It's enough for the renderings I usually work on. I don't really want to use a complicated system ( I have that in KT). It appears to be the main way to apply materials to the drawing. I don't quite see why there are two separate systems of handling materials or how the Deep Mat. Editor will allow me to relate to the model.
The Deep Material editor is there in case there is something you need that is not already provided for in the Templates.
I like your idea of having the materials tie to SU material. That would be great (isn't that what KT tries to do--doesn't always work it seems).
I don't understand the question.

pbacot

Post by pbacot » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I like your idea of having the materials tie to SU material. That would be great (isn't that what KT tries to do--doesn't always work it seems)
I don't understand the question.
That's about Chris's comment.
We are looking into the possibility of saving Twilight Render data to SketchUp's SKM libraries in order to create more reusable materials.
I think he is imagining someday making it so a SU material that can be linked to TW material so that it will produce the TW material when used in later new projects.

Contrary to my statement about the Template Material Editor, on further reading, it seems one can simply take a material you've worked on, and "Make a Deep Material" if you want to save it in a library.

Studying the help files, I think I see how it will work and I am liking it all, and hoping to get my license soon. Thanks for the help.