Newbie Render Test.... Missing sunlight

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
planit2d

Newbie Render Test.... Missing sunlight

Post by planit2d » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:12 am

Hi there Guys.... second time here and still very new to all of this. I am having trouble with sunlight in my scene. I am using a very underpowered machine so it's a "run over night and check in the morning" process at the moment for me.... very time consuming and frustrating to get to the morning and not see what you were hoping to see.
BTW. I'm using a Macbook Air 1.3 ghz with 4Gb RAM so a bit painful until I upgrade machines.

Anyway, I created this render using "Twilight_Indoor_Downlight_6in(15cm)_100w.skp" lights and rendered using Easy 08, which to my eye, i'm happy with at this early stage of learning, however I have a bunch of "spots" in the render (ceiling as well as cabinet and floor near the window).
I proceeded to have a go at Easy 09 as I read that that would fix the problem.... It did, but I lost all my sunlight from the scene. I am now trying Easy 10 (very slowly) to test again but at this point still no sunlight...??? Q: does the sunlight present itself as the passes increase and i should just remain patient... or have I missed something upfront all together

Any help would be much appreciated.....Thanks
Easy 08 with spots
Easy 08 with spots
Untitled.png (577.95 KiB) Viewed 7940 times
Easy 10 with no sunlight
Easy 10 with no sunlight
Untitled_1.png (666.61 KiB) Viewed 7940 times

planit2d

Re: Newbie Render Test.... Missing sunlight

Post by planit2d » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:45 pm

apologies..... Mentioned render in the post was Easy 08.... actually was Easy 07

Anyone able to shed some light on this for me...??? thanks in advance

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:47 pm

For the windows, are you using Architectural Glass with Shadows turned off? That's what I would look at first.

planit2d

Post by planit2d » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 pm

thanks for reply Chris.... It is architectural, common, shadows off,I was given that hot tip on my first post
the images attached above were done one after the after so nothing changed in the scene regarding materials etc...???

i just did another quick test to be sure using Easy 01 and Easy 10... sunlight is visible in 01 but not in 10...???

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:02 pm

planit2d wrote:cheers guys.... the glass was correct and the sun was on but I had ticked the box "rotate sun with sky" putting the sun on the wrong side of the scene..... thanks for your help, all good now
Are we sure this is not the same issue as before?

Dumb question... but a quick test - If you delete the window glass completely, does the sun shine in?
I see your sun is set to power of 2 - normally it is 4. This would make the interior lighting dominate the sun possibly making the sun light actually coming in, but hard to see.

planit2d

Post by planit2d » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:25 am

Cheers Fletch.... thanks for your help fellas

I have just tested the following...

Increased sun to 4
Easy 01 - window in and window out = sunlight visible (this is what I was getting previously)
Easy 10 - window in and window out = sunlight visible (this is not what I was getting previously)

Only thing I've changed is the sun strength as you suggested, glass was fine..... MUST have been the sun... but why would the sunlight be REALLY visible in easy 01-07 but not at all 08...???

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:11 pm

The interior/interior+ methods use a totally different mechanism than the low/+ through high/+, so the results (especially with lighting) will be different (Interior/+ is actually going to be more realistic than the other methods). As Fletch mentioned, the issue was likely simply that the interior lighting was overwhelming the sunlight make it unnoticeable.

planit2d

Post by planit2d » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks Chris, thanks Fletch.... Appreciate the help guys

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:57 am

Use Easy 09 for architectural renderings. It is approximately 2x faster to clear than Easy10.

Easy10 is really only for complex lighting jobs like caustics or dispersion through dielectric glass (think jewelry, diamonds and rubies, or think lasers). Easy 09 will not give caustics from spot or point lights, but in 99% of the cases the added render times from Easy10 will not be noticeable in architectural renderings.

A caustic that you may see in Easy 10 architectural renderings is the reflection of the sunlight onto the ceiling coming from a glass coffee table. This could be realistic, but in my experience is more distracting to the client than it is helpful.