Support for Skatter ?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
jiminy-billy-bob

Support for Skatter ?

Post by jiminy-billy-bob » Fri May 01, 2015 6:51 pm

Skatter v1 is finally here! :D

Get it now!

Skatter is a powerfull scattering extension for SketchUp.
Render hundreds of thousands of objects without overloading SketchUp. Scatter them parametrically or paint them by hand, while keeping control over collisions, camera clipping, rotation, scale, translation, randomness and density based on altitude, slope, falloffs and more.

Learn all about it : http://getskatter.com

--------------

Hello Fletch and Chris,

I'm curently developping a scattering plugin for Sketchup, called "Skatter". I'd like to know if you're interested to make it work with Twilight.

It is not released yet, it'll come out in a few weeks/months. One of its main features is a "Render Only" option. It allows to scatter components that will be rendered but not displayed in the viewport. That way, we can generate hundreds of thousands of instances while keeping a very lightweight model. (Because even a large number of proxies can be heavy)
Of course we can choose to disable this feature and generate regular component instances.

The way it works is pretty simple. Skatter stores the position/rotation/scale informations in a hash/array that any render engine can read and use.
The hash is in a shared namespace called "Common", and its name is "render_instances".
Its structure is as is :

Code: Select all

{ 
    Sketchup.active_model.definitions.entityID => { 
        "plugin" => {
            comp_def => [
                {"uuid" => "uuid1", "transformation" => trans1},
                {"uuid" => "uuid2", "transformation" => trans2},
            ]
        }
    }
}
Sketchup.active_model.definitions.entityID is used to differentiate models on OSX, as we can have multiple models opened in one Sketchup instance.
"plugin" is the plugin name. This level is necessary so we don't overwrite each other's infos. But as you read only, it's irrelevant to you.
comp_def is the component definition object.
"uuid1" is a unique id. Some render engines require it, maybe you too?
trans1 is a transformation object.

To read it is pretty simple in ruby :

Code: Select all

modelID = Sketchup.active_model.definitions.entityID
if defined?(Common.render_instances) && Common.render_instances[modelID]
     for plugin_name, comp_defs in Common.render_instances[modelID]
         for comp_def, insts in comp_defs
             for inst in insts
                uuid = inst["uuid"]
                transform = inst["transformation"]
                #Then do your stuff using comp_def, transform, and uuid if needed...
            end#for
        end#for
    end#for
end#if
The Hash is in a "Common" namespace so that everybody can add their stuff to it. This means that if you add support for it, you will automatically support Skatter, but also every future plugin from other developpers that want to use this system.
This is kind of an exchange standard between plugins and render engines.

Please tell me if you're interested, so I can send you a copy.

Thanks,
jbb
Last edited by jiminy-billy-bob on Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Support for Skatter ?

Post by Chris » Fri May 01, 2015 7:28 pm

It sounds pretty cool and would be very useful for things like grass, trees, rocks, etc. Will it be a "brush" style plugin where you can brush on the pseudo-instances? Maybe with variable levels of randomness in scale and rotation?

A couple questions:
Where is the "Common" data stored? In an attribute dictionary on the model? Ultimately that information isn't really necessary to know but I'm just curious. (See below for more about this)
SketchUp supports instances of the same component definition to have different materials (that then override any "default" material in the definition). Is there any planned support for that? ( Not that there needs to be).

One issue:
As I understand it, entityID is not persistent between sessions. So if you save data to the SketchUp model, you can't use the entityID as any kind of key to retrieve it(from an attribute dictionary) because it won't be the same the next time you open the file. That not only includes the entityID used for the DefinitionsList (model.definitions) but also if you are using entityID when saving pseudo-instances for each ComponentDefinition. The only way to make that work (ok, not the only, but the best maybe) is to save the list of pseudo-instances in an attribute dictionary on the ComponentDefinition itself.
Maybe that's already how it works. Again, you don't have to divulge that information but just keep it in mind as you develop your plugin.

Assuming there are no issues with any of the above, yes, we would love to incorporate support for it. It should fit pretty well with our current geometry processing model and incorporating it should be pretty straightforward. You can PM me with a link or a file or you can email it to chris [at] twilightrender [dot] com.

pbacot
SketchUp: 2019

Post by pbacot » Sat May 02, 2015 3:44 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:

bender196

Post by bender196 » Sun May 03, 2015 7:05 am

Please bring it for twilight i saw it on the sketchup Facebook Page and i would like to use it.

cballtgh
SketchUp: 2017 Pro

Post by cballtgh » Mon May 04, 2015 7:02 pm

yes please.

Also, when/ if released could you provide a tutorial that includes a description of all the settings and how they are used? This seems to be lacking in most of the plug-ins I have found for doing this type of thing.

I would definitely purchase this.

jiminy-billy-bob

Post by jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:38 pm

Chris, did you get my email? :)

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:47 pm

I did. I'm sending you a response right now. ;)

bubute
SketchUp: 2015

Post by bubute » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi,
Any news about this ? would really like to use it :o

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:06 pm

I don't think Skatter has been officially released, however we hope to have support for it in place when it does. We will definitely have support for it, just depending on release dates.

jiminy-billy-bob

Post by jiminy-billy-bob » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Skatter v1 is finally here! :D

Get it now!