How to use materials from Kerkythea?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: How to use materials from Kerkythea?

Post by Fletch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:13 pm

I will take this opportunity to point out again that if you apply a hi-res texture in SketchUp, it will load a low res version of it, but the hi-res image will 'pass thru' to Twilight, and you will be rendering the hi-res texture.

So using this feature with Templates will give you the most flexibility. Library materials are not editable from within Twilight, take time to load, etc.
Templates are editable, flexible, share among other Twilight users seamlessly, etc. You are encouraged to use the Templates... they are so easy, it actually scared me the first time I used them. :lol:

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:57 pm

Fletch wrote:I will take this opportunity to point out again that if you apply a hi-res texture in SketchUp, it will load a low res version of it, but the hi-res image will 'pass thru' to Twilight, and you will be rendering the hi-res texture...
This is definitely good to know as in this way, I don't even need to enable "Maximum texture size" in SU Preferences therefore modelling is way faster.
Gai...

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 pm

Yes, templates are astonishingly easy to use and give great results, but library materials are big fun too!

Although it is a bit confusing that they show up in different ways in SketchUp. Am I assuming right when I say:

When choosing (double clicking) a library material, the surface in SU...
1 - ... shows a diffusemap when the material only contains a diffusemap
2 - ... shows a bumpmap when the material only contains a bumpmap (same for normalmap)
3 - ... does not change the SU material that was applied when there is no maps given - only reflectivity, IOR, SSS -values

One more question (closer to the topic): Why are some of my imported KT materials not working right? Some of them have the maps scaled too small (Lis LR floor, Plaster_Stucco), some are too big (Carbons) and some give only a colour where there should be a map (Woods by Darren).
Is it possible that this is caused by different interpretation of units?
Ok, I may rescale them in SU but I have to do this then every single time I use them. Maybe there is a way to fix this permanently?

thanks in advance
alex

coskuarsiray
SketchUp: 6.0

Post by coskuarsiray » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:24 am

something seems wrong with server.

it says 404 - Article #45 not found for tutorials

also all downloaded zip files from twilightrender.com are corrupted.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

Only the link in the post was wrong. The web page is fine. The link in the post has been fixed.

However, all the downloadable files I tried worked just fine.