Resume / distribute an interior progressive rendering

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Resume / distribute an interior progressive rendering

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 am

Don't forget - you can save an image while it is in progress! (no need to do a "print screen" and crop it)

bonus tip: If you are rendering with Easy 09 or 10, and save as HDR, you will have a bigger version of the image. (it will be noisy)
Then you can use a noise filter in photoshop like Neat Image or Topaz Denoise, using this you can resize the image and get a pretty clean image.
Or you can use a program like Fotosketcher to turn the noisy image into a nice water-color like image.

derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

Post by derei » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:03 pm

Fletch wrote: bonus tip: If you are rendering with Easy 09 or 10, and save as HDR, you will have a bigger version of the image.
What is the practical benefit in saving as HDR? The only way I use HDR is for (spherical) backgrounds. I'm not used with that format. I would like to know more.
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:39 pm

Easy 09 and 10 have a built-in super sampling.
This means that for every pixel (depending on the resolution of your rendering). You could have as many as 3x3 pixels more than you are seeing when you save the .jpg.
When you save in HDR format, you get all the lighting info that you lose by saving in .jpg format, but also you get the image up to 3x3 larger in resolution. (although noisier, hence why it is used... shrinking the super sampled image results in a clearer-looking image)

It's recommended to save the HDR with tonemapping in the camera settings set to 1 exposure and 1gamma. :!:

HDR can of course also be used to light a scene in the spherical sky slot, presuming you have started the render as a spherical camera.
you’ll no longer see the blue tiles getting drawn.
I don't know what this means. :|

d12dozr
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Post by d12dozr » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Its gibberish, and looks to me like he's hiding a spam link in his signature...
-Marcus

derei

Post by derei » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:52 pm

Fletch wrote: When you save in HDR format, you get all the lighting info that you lose by saving in .jpg format, but also you get the image up to 3x3 larger in resolution. (although noisier, hence why it is used... shrinking the super sampled image results in a clearer-looking image)

It's recommended to save the HDR with tonemapping in the camera settings set to 1 exposure and 1gamma. :!:
So, you are saying that saving .hdr and resizing will get a better image than saving plain .jpg ? Well, things tend to become complicated! :D I just used .jpg and .png. Not even .tiff. Any documentation for us, who don't know how to benefit of those file formats?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:31 pm

d12dozr wrote:Its gibberish, and looks to me like he's hiding a spam link in his signature...
Looks like it to me too. Banned.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:16 pm

The spam was added into the signature after the post was approved.
With so many non-native speakers it's difficult to tell sometimes if a person is just really bad in English, or just talking gibberish. :roll:

derei

Post by derei » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 pm

I just stopped a progressive render by accident. I paused it, then when resuming I clicked by accident on STOP.
The problem is that on status bar I noticed only the rendering time, not the passes. I will calculate the passes by estimating the time on second render, but the completed passes should appear on a future version, i think. It would be best to save that data in the EXIF, as I asked in a different post.
At least until a resume render after stop function will be available.