2d Native People

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
Natron

2d Native People

Post by Natron » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:01 pm

I've been asked to create a rendering for a client that is for a First Nations School in Northern Canada, and the client only wants Native people in the renderings. The problem is, I can't find any... Does anyone know where I can find cutouts of Native people, or any other resource I could use to find them? My only suggestion was to use silhouettes, as it seems these don't exist, but I was hoping someone would have an idea where I might be able to find them.

Even good stock images would work, please keep in mind that these need to be racially sensitive. No head dresses or other "sterotypical" portrayals of Natives.

Thanks a ton!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: 2d Native People

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:16 am

Wow, that's a tall order.
I have over 20 years of experience rendering and modeling for architectural offices, and I know how much clients and architects like to see people. I am also from a state with 7 tribes, so I know how important your assignment is to the client.

The client has no clue the difficulty level of what they are asking you, and you need to gently explain to them the difficulty of the request. I agree with the silhouette idea, or the client needs to provide you with the photos of the people from which you are expected to work.

What they are asking you, if it is to be done properly, for me personally, would be a very large extra charge - I mean thousands of dollars extra, and require me going and visiting the school, photographing actual people for half a day, or possibly longer, and then going back to the office, choosing images, cutting them out one-by-one in photoshop and placing them carefully into the renderings... potentially a week of extra work to be done to a professional level. (In fact, placing people in renderings at all is almost always an extra charge to my clients.)

The only other option would be to seek/find any publication provided by the school itself or similar school - possibly online? Showing the people engaged in their normal day-to-day activities in normal clothing. This would still involve long hours of finding appropriate publications (like a school newspaper or "year book"), pouring over images, finding ones that just-so-happen to be good enough and from the right angle with decent lighting and decent enough quality to be of any use, then cutting out the images in photoshop, etc. Many hours of tedious work. The client, desiring this, needs to be prepared to pay for this work, unless the client can actually provide the images already cut out for you to use.

Best of luck,