Precision Modelling

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
pdwyer
SketchUp: 2013

Precision Modelling

Post by pdwyer » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:29 pm

When I was first learning blender a couple of years ago I came across a great guide called "Precision Modelling" and it can be found in web / PDF and video form here http://www.rab3d.com/tutorial.html I have enormous respect for the way this guy models and does his engineering diagrams, as you follow the steps you can see the emphasis on everything being precise and no shortcuts taken for parts just because they are small or out of sight. One of the more in depth tutorials is for the 608 bearing. When learning blender I didn't actually model this but I thought since SU is a different product and while faster to model with, has far less flexibility in it's modelling features it would be great to go through and try to do this and see what challenges I face. The outcome was likely to make a good Twilight render too.

A few things learned:
1) When dealing with very small geometry (0.001mm) the curve tool and the followme too don't work, if you want to use these you need to scale larger
2) The follow me tool had a lot of limitations with what it to 'spin' and many times I needed find ways to use the rotation tool instead
3) The edge round plugin has a few issues when real precision bevels are required on curved geometry.

anyway, it got done, and got done quicker than blender but I was feeling a little feature pain along the way.

UPDATED
(1200 passes so far on easy-09, took about 14hrs)
608 Bearing.jpg
608 Bearing.jpg (393.83 KiB) Viewed 12093 times
608 Bearing-SU.jpg
608 Bearing-SU.jpg (298.34 KiB) Viewed 11516 times

PS, The forum web server and connectivity issues seem to be fixed, no trouble uploading this time like in that past! Thanks :gj:
Last edited by pdwyer on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Re: Precision Modelling

Post by Gareth » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:33 pm

nicely done....!!

faluchdeviaro
SketchUp: 8

Post by faluchdeviaro » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Very good modelling, i make it in Blender too, but i don't try to made in sketchup. Are you crazy? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Very well done! Far surpasses my skill in SU! :lol:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:01 pm

:shock: Impressive work! :D

My only complaint would be that it's sitting in the sky and not on a ground. :?
If rendering with 8 threads, it won't get too much clearer after 300 passes.
If rendering with 1 thread, after 2400 passes it won't get much better.
Best to either render larger than you need and downscale the image. Or render a second image, but just change the final resolution by a few pixels either way. When it reaches a fairly clear state, resize it and overlay it on the original in photoshop, setting opacity of layer to 50%.
Flatten image.

The High Pass Overlay technique is a superior sharpening technique to anything that is built into Photoshop CS3... if you need it, search for it on this forum.

pdwyer

Post by pdwyer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:09 am

I updated the image with a 1200 pass (14hr) version that looks better. I have only 4 cores not 8 so I need the extra passes. I don't think it's going to improve much more in a reasonable amount of time. Some lighting needs a little tweaking I guess.

I put it in the sky because originally it was only the exploded view so looked odd sitting on something, then copied added the the other two bits afterwards, I guess a slightly reflective ground plane would have worked there.

I'm not familiar with a high pass overlay or though I noticed some people on these forums overlapping different types of renders, I'll read more into that as it sounds useful! Thanks.

Actually I'm not a very good modeller, its really the quality of these tutorials thats special, I just followed the instructions. SU users should read through them too. All the things happening are fairly fundamental, there is no organic modelling used and everything is very geometric and methematical and so easy to copy.

pdwyer

Post by pdwyer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:46 am

Ah, okay, a photoshop feature... don't have that. PaintShopPro 9 has masks and layers etc although I don't really know how to use them, let me read the help file

Ron_Bruins
SketchUp: 8.1

Post by Ron_Bruins » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:10 pm

If rendering with 8 threads, it won't get too much clearer after 300 passes.
If rendering with 1 thread, after 2400 passes it won't get much better.
I am wondering here how this works...
Isn't a pass just the calculations of a bunch of lightbeams hitting the object and the next one again and again?
So wouldn't 8 threads just speed the time needed for every pass up, instead of getting more done in one pass?
Regards, Ron

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:34 am

That would depend on how the programmer has chosen to multithread.
The easiest method for multithreading is to assign the basic task to each thread, as opposed to dividing a single task among 8 threads and then stitching together the result each pass... it also saves on memory/processing resources.

pdwyer

Post by pdwyer » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:58 am

Fletch, you made the comment, so which is it? :mrgreen: