What to charge for 3D renders?

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Stu

What to charge for 3D renders?

Post by Stu » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:33 pm

An interesting article about that perennial question.....What do we charge??? ....

http://www.lunarlog.com/what-prices-to- ... or-artist/

There always seems to be a huge gap between what we know we SHOULD be charging and what the market will seem to accept.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: What to charge for 3D renders?

Post by Fletch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:40 am

great link, Stu!
basically... "what do you need to make in order to live ok? charge that!"

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:08 am

o.m.g. ..... thats by far the trickiest part of our business, especially nowadays. Very useful link Stu, thanks a ton!

It has drawn my attention on the concept to charge per single render, whatever the deadlines might be. It is so nerve wrecking difficult to make a pricing based on working days/hours - I should get rid of this habit to calculate by estimating how much time would probably needed to complete the task.
I've already masterminded a simple pricing matrix: three categories for model complexity, each with four rendering multipliers: NPR either fast or well elaborated and the same for photorealistic. Have not used this system yet.... What do you guys think?

wish you a nice day
alex

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 pm

A matrix sounds like a good place to figure some rough numbers.
Ulitimately if you are priced too low, you don't eat. If you are priced too high, you don't eat... so offering value and working quickly are your best bet.

The article neglects the fact that many many clients still prefer to hire someone they can meet and bring to see the project. Many clients prefer that you actually come visit their site, (completely unnecessary, but not to their mind, as everyone thinks their project is unique or special in some way!) So then, the context of pricing against local competitors is important.

Also, sometimes, pricing too low will give someone a feeling of not getting the best... so they prefer to go to the more expensive! (hmmm... perhaps we should charge more for Twilight ;) )

ultimately it's a judgement call in the room with the person, how much can they afford? are they easy or nit-picky to work with? (will they be happy with what you give, or are you going to blow your budget making change after tiny change)

it's a tough subject for sure!

Stu

Post by Stu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:42 am

I think one factor that is obviously very important is the number of jobs you actually have to quote on.....
If you've gone three weeks without work....the mortgage payment is overdue......your car's running on canvas and the kid needs to see the dentist...I'll bet you will jump in low just to get the next job! :)
But if your getting four offers each week....you quote a good rate....and get at least one in four...your laughing.
So.....advertising...marketing...networking....let the people out there know about you and what you can do!!

And Fletch...I agree with you...it's really important to assess what a Client is going to be like....and add a loading if they look as if they will be hard to please :)

A mate and I used to work with something we called the 'Small Dog Factor'......[immediate appologies to all you great people out there with small dogs!! :whistle: ].....but if the Client had a small yappy dog...just be a bit careful with the quote...if they had two...add 50%......Now it seemed to work....or maybe we were just being silly and very subjective :totgm: