My first Twilight renders

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
flipya
SketchUp: 7

My first Twilight renders

Post by flipya » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:04 am

Yesterday I did my first twilight renders. First one is a proposed bathroom of a friends' hotel I'm working on. Most textures are unaltered SU, changed a few using TR templates. For light I just removed the ceiling, built a 2 meter high box above the room and put one omni in it. Little PP, but not too much.

Second is sort of a testrender, was curious how TR would handle glass, so I made this wineglass in a couple of minutes (since searching the Google WH for a decent wineglass takes too long). Happy with refraction and -flection, not too happy with the artifacts on curved sides and foot of the glass. This was on Easy6 I recall.

Next few days will probably be spent doing testrenders, so this will be it from me until next week :D

Edited by Frederik: In order to avoid possible loss of images hosted at 3rd party, I've attached the image direct to the TWR Forum.
This is the original link:
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/2073/bathroompp.jpg and http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/2378/glas.jpg
Attachments
bathroompp.jpg
bathroompp.jpg (766.18 KiB) Viewed 9064 times
glas.jpg
glas.jpg (332.02 KiB) Viewed 9064 times
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: My first Twilight renders

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:05 am

:welcome:

You are off to a great start!

Your glass is likely intersecting/sharing 3D space with the "floor". This is known as "z-fighting" where the engine is trying to figure out "who's on top, here?"
I don't see any artifacts on the sides. It looks like these are jagged edges from the low-poly mesh. If you want to render close-ups of curves, and you want them smooth - watch out for SketchUp's default "12" for number of curve segments.

Interior 10 will render the glass scene best... but 6 or 7 are good biased choices for the scene. Properly lighting the scene will help a lot. You can start by putting it in the studio.
try the light components as well. (for the bathroom)

Check out the tips and tricks section on lighting.

WardNL
SketchUp: SketchUp 8 free

Post by WardNL » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:02 am

Great, nice "cell-shaded" look!
Modelling my city for Google Earth:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... d3&ct=mdcc

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Post by flipya » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks for the comments guys!

Fletch, I figured putting the glass in a group would smooth it enough, but I'll try a more high-poly one next time. So how do I prevent the z-fighting? In this case I should make the base a little hollow, cuz that's how a real wineglass is. But what if it really is a flat glass object sitting on a flat opaque object? Move it up on the Z by just a mm or so, or is there a workaround? And one last question, what do you mean by 'put it in the studio'?

Ward, I like the cellshaded/rotoscope style a lot too, glad you approve :D
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Regarding Z-fighting, yeah the best way to avoid it is just to move the objects apart by as tiny an amount as you can.

olishea

Post by olishea » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:30 pm

lol i wish i could render like this when i first started! great start!

yeah with product renders/close ups.....go as high poly as sketchup will allow. much better reflections and refraction. I'm guessing you used 'follow me' to make glass? use at least 96 edges for the path circle. to stop z fighting you only need to move the object 1mm or so above the one its touching.

i would use less opaque or thinner lines if you are doing a line overlay, but its just a matter of opinion. there is no right or wrong way.
Oli

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:45 pm

:totgm: just noticed someone played a bit of a joke on you and put your chair in your bathroom (you've likely been wandering all over the house looking for it) :lol :D