Stone Wall Texture - How To Use HiRes Textures With Twilight

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Stone Wall Texture - How To Use HiRes Textures With Twilight

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:39 am

1.3Mb How To Use HiRes Textures With Twilight Video Quick Tut (DivX Video Format, may need free codec installed on your computer to view)
2.6Mb How To Use HiRes Textures With Twilight Video Quick Tut (Gif format - open in your Web Browser)

Please enjoy this free texture, for your personal or professional use.
You are strictly encouraged to have fun rendering with it :!:
Copyright of these images belong to Twilight Render©2010, and therefore it is strictly forbidden to redistribute this texture in any format with any package from any other computer server. (This includes modifying the texture slightly in order to claim it as your own for redistribution. You are free to modify it for your personal use, but not for redistribution)

To share this texture with a friend, simply send them this link to this thread:

Code: Select all

http://twilightrender.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1347&start=0
Thank you.
Twilight Render Support
Attachments
StoneWall_TwilightRender_Squared_RandomAshlar_MortarJoints_Bump.png
StoneWall_TwilightRender_Squared_RandomAshlar_MortarJoints_Bump.png (485.67 KiB) Viewed 20693 times
StoneWall_TwilightRender_Squared_RandomAshlar_MortarJoints_Specular.png
StoneWall_TwilightRender_Squared_RandomAshlar_MortarJoints_Specular.png (439.39 KiB) Viewed 20668 times
StoneWall_TwilightRender_Squared_RandomAshlar_MortarJoints_warm.png
StoneWall_TwilightRender_Squared_RandomAshlar_MortarJoints_warm.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 20721 times

olishea

Re: Stone Wall Texture - How To Use HiRes Textures With Twilight

Post by olishea » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:34 pm

thank you so much for this, very generous. :^: :rspkt:
Oli

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:14 pm

Good seamless stone textures are not easy to find. Thank you, Fletch.

rangerrick
SketchUp: 15

Post by rangerrick » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks, Fletch :whoot: This mat looks great in your render :^:

d12dozr
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Post by d12dozr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm

Wow, thanks Fletch :^:
-Marcus

rclub24

Post by rclub24 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:35 pm

thanks, it great :^:
I don't drink these days as i'm allergic to alcohol.
I breakout in handcuffs!

http://richardobrien.moonfruit.com/

archigrafix

Post by archigrafix » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:50 am

Great fletch!
Question: how did you make the small stone arch above your windows?
It adds so much realism to the wall and the all scene..!

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:48 am

it's simply a photo texture on a plane that's cut out the shape of the arch, then moved out from the wall behind by half a cm.

davetesch

Post by davetesch » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Thanks Mr. Fletch,
Can someone please explain how you create the specular, and the bump map for these?
I have seen a tutorial for the Bump map with Photoshop where you perform high pass filter> desaturate >'Photocopy' Filter on it.
This creates darks where the surface should withdraw and highlights where it sticks out.

What does the Specular map do for the rendered texture? :?:

Thanks,
Dave

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Specular Maps (what they do, how they work) are explained in the User Manual. (As well as bump maps.)
A specular map is simply the reflected color from indirect light. So, if the map has a color, this will be the 'reflected' color, if it's black, there will be no color reflected, if it's white it will be the reflected color (mixed with the diffuse color according to fresnel's law* of reflections) (and white will be the part of the spec map most noticeable), if it's grey, then it will be noticeable in some degree relative to the lightness of the grey.

The specular map reflects light based on the shininess value you set for the material and the IOR... the higher the IOR the more noticeable reflections will become, and the higher the shininess value, the sharper the reflection will become... finally at shininess of 100000 it's about as sharp as you can get with Twilight. Shininess -for very rough surfaces I choose 7 or 10, usually I find myself going to "20" for very blurry reflections. Rarely do I use 10 or below... but I do use them. The Templates are great at default, so I only find myself changing shininess with Plastic>Shiny template to something like 600, 1500, 5000, 50000 sometimes, if sharper reflections are needed.

How to create specular map:
I basically manipulate the photo, based on how I want the reflections to happen, using many tricks I know in Photoshop (some of which you mentioned above) until I get the effect I want, knowing how specular maps work (as explained in the user manual, as well as what I've said in the paragraph above).

Sorry I can not be more specific but what I do totally depends on the image with which I am working. I find a combination of the Exposure, High Pass Filter, Invert, and the layer blend modes of Soft Light, Hard Light, Overlay, Screen, and Multiply are very useful. As well as using masks. Usually High Pass and Exposure and Levels gets me 90% to my goal.

*Fresnel reflection simply stated: reflection from a surface will increase with the angle of incidence... so when looking straight down (zero degrees) at a reflective surface, the reflection scene will be slight, but as you tilt the surface away from you (moving to 90 degrees), reflections in the surface will be much stronger.