small office building

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: small office building

Post by Fletch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Twilight automatically renders on all threads, but in 'low priority' thread mode... if it's still slowing you down, then you can change number of threads in the render dialog in the advanced tab.

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Thanks Fletch!
Cheers,

Adam

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:00 pm

Still playing around with this model, this is how far i got with the interior.

Question: how can i add just a subtle texture to a material (color). Like the planks outside - i just wanna see some light lines mixed with base (white) color.
Is there a way to set the texture transparency?

Carpet: using something similar to the carpet tutorial in the Resources forum, but it's hardly visible, i guess i will switch to something with a bigger pattern - or just needs to clear much more maybe?
Attachments
uwitest74-INT-38-presete10-2h0minsG15E13.jpg
uwitest74-INT-38-presete10-2h0minsG15E13.jpg (305.13 KiB) Viewed 10523 times
Cheers,

Adam

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi Adam,
Very nice interior shot you made there, I like it! It has the same fresh feel like the exteriors...
...exept the planks on your porch roof. It is the only aged material in your project as far as I can see, and thus has something alien to it. Are you looking for a texture that consists only of subtle grey lines to resemble planks? For sure there are plenty of free textures of this kind ... I usually find something useful in the link-collection over at SCF : http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... f=40&t=486
If the lines are still too strong, I would edit them in SketchUp. For the carpet I think you are right - the grain needs to be cleared up in all parts of the render before you know your carpet is working.
cheers
alex

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:14 pm

Thank you shura that was exactly my question.

I was hoping that i can blend the applied plank texture with the the base color, but you say the texture has to be pre adjusted in PS or sg?

What do you mean with "edit them in SU"? all that i found there was transparency but that makes the whole element transparent...

Thanks for the comment!
Cheers,

Adam

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:14 am

For adjusting any 'fussy' materials make a quick test box like shown in the carpet scene and it will render much more quickly for testing.

I have read your question about the wood texture but can not understand exactly what you are asking, I'm sorry. :oops:
For the carpet, try inside a test box, and change the specular and bump maps in your photo editor until you get the results you like.

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Hey Fletch,
it's not your fault, really :) English is not my first language and i was also been drinking a bit yesterday ;)

So here is the question again.
I was looking for a option like KT has with it's layered material. There if you have two textures (or a texture and a procedural) you can
set the "weight" of them to create the desired "blend" of the two... (i hope thats is clear, i never been a KT expert either)

I know that this is not available in TW, but i thought that maybe you can do it in a simplified form.
I.e. add the texture in SK and then in TW adjust the transparency of it this way mixing the texture and the original color "beneath" it...

Or to put in another way: you see the plank lines outside? How can i pale out the lines without manipulating the texture in Photoshop.

Sorry for the messy question!
Cheers,

Adam

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:51 pm

well, it is possible to "pale out" textures in SU to a certain degree, but it has its limitations. The material editor works for me very well if i want to adjust some textures, even colour them. Try it on your planks Adam, there is more than opacity to manipulate ;)
cheers
alx
Attachments
editing_textures_in_SU.jpg
editing_textures_in_SU.jpg (267.74 KiB) Viewed 10433 times
editing_textures_in_SU_.jpg
editing_textures_in_SU_.jpg (163.61 KiB) Viewed 10431 times

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:12 am

Hello Shura,

thank you for the tips again. I've been playing around with it and indeed it can be helpful.

I'm cooking a new version at the moment i think it will look better than the last one.
Cheers,

Adam

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:28 pm

So i let this cook for almost 2 hours and its still grainy... (core duo 2.4 CPU although i was doing other work along almost all the time)

I have one huge triangle emitter on the left outside plus the sun plus the lights in the suspended ceiling.

Is this render time realistic or shall i look for a way to decrease it?

Just checking: objects that are on a turned off layer are not calculated with in the scene right?
Attachments
No PostPro
No PostPro
uwitest74-INT-44-presete10-11h37min-web-noPP.jpg (567.53 KiB) Viewed 10391 times
Cheers,

Adam