Ballroom

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
dutchesse

Ballroom

Post by dutchesse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Ok, I I'm diving in ...
Been playing with small objects so far but this is my first serious render. This is a ballroom/Conference room that is being remodeled currently.
Everything is built according to the interior designers specs
walls have resin material with Philips linear lead lights behind them. Chandeliers are also custom made with materials from 3Form, each has 36 40W lightbulbs in it
Tons of lights, materials, high poly objects which are dragging the render time down seriously
Attached is a first render pic after 10h/25threads render (filtered to reduce the noise)
Would love to know how to improve this puppy in ALL aspects. For instance, the chandeliers are lit and I can see the bulbs, but the bottom of the chandeliers do not apear to be lit. how do I fix that?

For those of you who would like to take a look at the actual model , you can download it here (thanks Fletch for the tip): http://www.box.net/shared/j80icttnl3
Enjoy and thanks in advance

Esther
Attachments
Ballroom render
Ballroom render
5.0.jpg_10H_filtered.jpg (361.82 KiB) Viewed 12330 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Ballroom

Post by Fletch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Looks stunning so far! congrats!

I would remove the guy, and put him in in post-pro with some motion blur to hide him a bit.

Render time of 10h is not bad with this model, all that's going on.

Hi-res Textures drag down render times more than anything else. Next - blurry metals/reflections drag down render times.

I will try to d/l model and take a look. I'm sure Fymoro can give good tips.

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Fletch wrote:Looks stunning so far! congrats!
+1 Image
Fletch wrote:I would remove the guy, and put him in in post-pro with some motion blur to hide him a bit.
I agree... :^:
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

Stu

Post by Stu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:03 pm

Great Stuff!!

+3 regarding the guy.....maybe even a 2D PR figure inserted pre-render would work at that distance?

The amount of detailing on the tables is amazing....you could possibly cut back on some of it to reduce render times a bit?

dutchesse

Post by dutchesse » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:28 pm

Thanks guys, I apprciate the feedback, so many great artist here at the forum.
The client wants to use these renders/models to add to their website to show different table settings per event (weddings, meetings, conferences, etc), maybe even make the page interactive to where a client can move things around, hence the detailing. Once I have this room set up to where I'm happy with it, I can easily swap table settings and buffets to where they need to go.

I guess step 1 is to reduce the high res textures, in most cases the detail in the material is not even visible anyway, its tricky though to get the resin to do what I think it will without any reference material.
ot sure how to reduce the blurry metals-reflections, a mirror is what it is ..., but maybe make the brushed copper a plastic versus a metal?

As far as the waiter, I was curious how "realistic" he would render, it is a 3D model form FormFonts.
I have rendered with and without him and he does seem to give the room a bit more livelines when he's there, but I can certainly take him out.

I have been messing around with IES files this weekend, have not been able to locate files for regular common bulbs, looks like most files are for industrial lighting.

Keep it coming guys, thanks :0)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 pm

dutchesse wrote:ot sure how to reduce the blurry metals-reflections, a mirror is what it is ..., but maybe make the brushed copper a plastic versus a metal?
This phrase confused me. If you have applied "mirror' it's certainly not blurry, and I wouldn't replace any metals with plastic, no.

All this means, is...
If you are using a shiny plastic with 180 shininess, you can safely increase it to 600 shininess... this will reduce the 'blurriness' of the reflections, and it will render faster, and look shinier.

If you are using a blurry metal anodized alum. and replace it with shiny chrome metal, the chrome will render faster (but of course will not look like brushed aluminum)

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Post by fymoro » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:26 am

Very nice Duchesse, congrats... :^: :clap:
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/

dutchesse

Post by dutchesse » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:26 pm

Still tweaking this ballroom ... learning great stuff along the way. Everytime I read the twilight manual I read something new I didn't see before
I have been able to reduc the file size tremendously by reducung image sizes. This week I have been messing around with increasing some of the basic settings of shine etc. I noticed some of the regulars are cranking it up way higher than the basic settings. So I'm tweaking away and playing around with different SSS settings to make the Resin backlit elements do what I think it will do (using mfr. sites and looking around at real life applications)
I have set up an unused computer to experiment with rendertimes and this one for instance has been going for 17 hours, the hubby is wondering if the "noise" ever goes away after a certain time? As far as I can tell I think everyone is using photoshop (or something equivalant) to get rid of the noise. Is there always a need for postpro or is it just my inexperience? Will an engine like Vray produce better results (hence the price dfference). Just some things we have been wondering about.
The attached picture is unfiltered, I have found that reducing the noise takes the lacewood pattern out of the laminate walls. I'm hoping if I render it long enough the noise disappears.

I feel I have the greatest job ever, I get to play Sims all day long :whoot:
Attachments
WEDCER112PPL_PASS46_4THREADS_66%_17HOURS.jpg
WEDCER112PPL_PASS46_4THREADS_66%_17HOURS.jpg (398.91 KiB) Viewed 12057 times

dutchesse

Post by dutchesse » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Hhm, just now noticed this picture doesn't show much noise at all. I guess reducing the size reduces the noise (this woudl be my "duh" moment of the day).
OK, but what if you want to make a poster sized render? Does it just have to render a lot longer?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:58 pm

I've generally found that the noise goes away faster when the scene is brightly lit. Dimly lit scenes can go a very long time before noise clears up (and it always will, eventually :D It just might take a really long time)