Animation sequence to H.264/MP4 video

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Animation sequence to H.264/MP4 video

Post by Ecuadorian » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:22 pm

This tip is based on last year's tip by Fletch on how to compile to XviD/avi video. Consider this an "update" to that tip. ;)

This time we'll use the Video for Windows version of the x264 codec, which is faster and offers a better quality/size ratio than XviD, thus making it ideal for uploading to YouTube, sending by one-click hosting services and also for playback on a number of devices that support H.264 video in an MP4 container file, like the PlayStation 3 and the XBOX 360. The latest versions of Windows Media Player, Windows Live Movie Maker and Quicktime support this format, too. Apple devices such as the iPhone, iPod and iPad are able to play MP4 files, too, but as I don't own one I don't know the exact settings to use for those.

First, download the x264 codec from here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/x264vfw/files/
Pick the one that begins with "x264vfw_", not the other one:
x264vfw.PNG
x264vfw.PNG (17.43 KiB) Viewed 14729 times
Install it.

Download VirtualDub. Pick the stable, 32-bit version:
http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/
Unzip it to a folder (no need to install) and run this file:
virtualdub.PNG
virtualdub.PNG (10.55 KiB) Viewed 14733 times
Once inside VirtualDub, press Ctrl+O to open the first frame in the sequence. Drag the slider to check that the whole sequence has loaded.

Press Ctrl+R and set the frame rate to 29.97, the NTSC standard.

Press Ctrl+P to select the video compression. Select x264vfw and press the "Configure" button. In this window, do this:
x264-settings.PNG
x264-settings.PNG (65.63 KiB) Viewed 14735 times
1) Select "tuning" > Animation
2) Set output mode to "File"
3) Check the "VirtualDub hack" box
4) Hit the browse button (the one with the three dots) and browse to where you want to save your MP4. Give it a name and make sure to select "*.mp4" from the type drop-down.
5) The path to where your file will be saved will now appear to the left of the browse button. Verify that it is correct.
6) Don't touch anything else and press OK.

Press OK again in the video compression window.

Now press F7 to show the "Save AVI file" dialog. You can choose anything here as this will not be your actual file, just a dummy file. Your actual file will be saved to the location you selected in the x264 settings window. (VirtualDub has no way to produce an MP4 file so the x264 codec is fooling VirtualDub by feeding it junk to save as an AVI, while x264 saves the actual MP4 file somewhere else).

Enjoy.

JGA
SketchUp: 2015 pro

Re: Animation sequence to H.264/MP4 video

Post by JGA » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:03 pm

Thanks, I'll give this a go with SKUP - never tried TWIL for animation when I think about it.
JGA

pureuya

Post by pureuya » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:59 am

How do you transfer videos to your mp3/mp4 player? I've just bought my first mp3/mp4 player (it accepts both) and It can can hold music photos and videos but I need to know how to transfer videos and pictures!

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:06 pm

Please refer to the manual of your device. Most likely, it will include software that will convert videos if needed.