Gothic Cathedral

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Klog
SketchUp: v8.0

Re: Gothic Cathedral

Post by Klog » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:07 am

Fletch
The post pro seems to wash out much of the foreground, but hilights the railing more; and it makes the background more real. A toss-up ...
Klog
Klog
Dell Precision 2.93GB/sec 4 MB ram

Klog

Post by Klog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:39 am

I have just created my first video of the Interior of this cathedral and it very clearly shows that is is the first. Created in 600x800 format and is posted at Yutube site: . I have a lot to learn about movie making so any comments for improvement to that end are very welcome. View the Youtube video in FULL screen format or you miss half of it ...
Klog

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:35 pm

:clap: Impressive. I imagine that took a while to render.

Klog

Post by Klog » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Fletch
I rendered 600+ frames in a day and a half and then a power glitch stopped it 300 frames short of the end. So had to make a second .avi from the "open doorway" to the end and splice them together. (another 30 hours) Used Virtualdub and applied one of its filters to adjust the contrast a bit. Still need to figure out the frame "ripping" problem. And for some reason Kerkythea's SU2KT twisted two of the UVs for windows - even replacing the shader for them did not straighten it out. So if I switch to Twilight Render all will be solved ... think I will.
klog
Klog

Klog

Post by Klog » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Well. I'm starting to get the hang of Twilight. Still haven't tried importing the materials and render settings, etc. from Kerkythea yet. Just learning to get around within Sketchup and Twilight. But I have a persistant problem with the renderer re-rendering the previous scene and not being able to switch scenes/cameras without closing Sketchup to clear the buffers. Thought I had solved it by re-saving Sketchup and manually re-selecting the appropriate Update method from "Advanced" tab; but still do not get consistant results. Does anyone have a cure? So here is the latest result; had to go to extremes on the many bump maps using a setting of 10 to 30 bump in some cases to get the joints to look better. Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Attachments
NW ISO AT NIGHT.jpg
NW ISO AT NIGHT.jpg (658.18 KiB) Viewed 5588 times
Klog

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Nice image, Klog! The ground in front could use more vegetation (strategically placed). The pitch black sky seems too dark, it depends on the mood you are going for.
Klog wrote:... I have a persistant problem with the renderer re-rendering the previous scene...Does anyone have a cure?
Sounds like a RAM issue. In a big file and 32bit environment it's just what it is.

Klog wrote:...had to go to extremes on the many bump maps using a setting of 10 to 30 bump in some cases to get the joints to look better... suggestions are welcome.
If you are using the Twilight Material templates, not the "fast" version but the more "physically accurate" templates (see the Materials section of the user manual) then using a real bump map with 1 or less will be plenty good. If you are using the texture as the bump, then the correct "strength" of bump will be anyone's guess.
Bump does not show up correctly in shadow areas in certain render settings. Easy 09 (MLT) does not have this issue.

Subject: Tile - bump and specular maps and scene
Subject: How to make a bump map from a diffuse texture photo
Subject: How to create a Specular Map or Bump Map [Video]