SketchUp Brick Won't Render

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
KPriestman

SketchUp Brick Won't Render

Post by KPriestman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 pm

I can't seem to get the sketchup material "Brick_Antique" to render using Twilight. It doesn't matter if I skip or use the material editor - it just won't render. I tried the material "Cladding_Stucco_White" and it worked on the first attempt without any tweaking in Twilight.

Also - when I edit a material in the material editor, it automatically assigns the shininess to 128.00 - what's with that?

I was excited that this program was inexpensive to license, but now I'm regretting it /wishing I had just sucked it up and got a better program! Please help!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: SketchUp Brick Won't Render

Post by Fletch » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Antique Brick renders just fine.
antiquebrick.jpg
antiquebrick.jpg (128.84 KiB) Viewed 10439 times
Are you sure you haven't painted the front face one color and painted the back with antique brick?
The front face material will always take precedent when rendering.
You can dowload the scene and try it for yourself below.
antiquebrickSU8.zip
(37.12 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
Also - when I edit a material in the material editor, it automatically assigns the shininess to 128.00 - what's with that?
Each material template will apply several material properties automatically. These properties depend on which material template you have chosen.

Please try watching the video tutorials, and reading the user manual. The links are in my signature. Beginning to use any new program is frustrating, be patient as you learn. Feel free to post questions here.

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Post by Gareth » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 am

we all make that mistake with front faces....heaven knows, i still do it...!! :oops:

...as Fletch says, be patient....and the help and advice available in this place is amazing and and i have found it is worth more than the cost of the program many times over..!!...and believe me, it's a pretty damn good program...!!

KPriestman

Post by KPriestman » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks Fletch and Gareth - I found a way around it - I guess I was painting the back face. The way I found around it was easy too - Right click, Entity Info, then I just made sure both faces had the same material assigned.

Thanks again for the help!

One more question - are there any downloadable material libraries to supplement the existing templates or libraries? The ones in there are excellent but seem limited when it comes to surfaces like brick, fabrics, woods, etc. Most of the renderings I do are for residential interiors.

Thanks,

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:54 pm

There are hundreds of resources available to licensed users in the Red Carpet Section of the forum.

If you are a licensed user of Twilight, we can not connect your user account here on the forum to the Red Carpet section unless you used the same email address to register on the forum as was used to purchase your Twilight Render License. This is not an 'automatic' process. If the email addresses are the same, then the access can possibly take up to 24 hrs. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

If you used a different email address to register on the forum than the email address used to purchase your license for Twilight Render, then please send a request for Red Carpet Access, along with both email addresses, along with the user name on the forum, and the name used when purchasing Twilight Render license to:
licensing at twilightrender dot com

At your service,
Twilight Render Support

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:52 pm

In twilight, the "order" materials are rendered (or when applied to the below in case there is nothing higher) is
  1. Front face material
  2. Group/Component material
  3. Back face material
If there is anything higher than what otherwise you can see in SU, you will get confused. Apart from the above example, if you have a material applied to a back face inside a group but then you paint the group with something else, even if the front face is not painted at all, you will end up with the group material rendered.

I'd suggest keeping your model "clean" all the time.
  • Avoid displaying back faces at all. Always make sure that back faces ar faced "inside" solids and only paint front faces.
  • Avoid using group/component materials at all. This can be even more confusing than back face materials.
  • Use these two plugins extensively:
    • Material Tools (there is an option to remove all back face materials)
    • Remove CG Materials (well, does what it says: removes Component/Group materials - with the option to apply them on the faces)
    • There is a third one that can be very useful: UV Toolkit which can map the front face material to back faces and vice versa. Imagine that you painstakingly map a material just to discover that you did it on a back face. Now with this tool, you can simply copy the material from the back face to the front face (keeping all UV's) and then delete back face materials.
      Another use of it was when I made a sphere with a material that had transparent areas. After mapping it spherically with Whaat's UV Tools, it only mapped it on the outside (front face) but of course, I wanted it to be mapped in the inside (back face too). Certainly this would not cause issues with Twiliht (I mean if I hadn't mapped it) as it would not render the back face material anyway.
Gai...