Why is my paving so shiny?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
dorfpunk

Why is my paving so shiny?

Post by dorfpunk » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 pm

This has happened before and I can't actually remember what I did to fix/change it. I want to put natural sandstone paving/tiling in my model. I have used a pretty good texture that has worked pretty well in the past. I use a natural stone setting and well, it does this.
does this happen.jpg
does this happen.jpg (583.07 KiB) Viewed 5845 times
why.JPG
why.JPG (219.8 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
I would be totally happy to be told I am doing something really stupid and I am a fool if it willl stop this happening.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Why is my paving so shiny?

Post by Chris » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:00 am

Probably back faces are showing.

dorfpunk

Post by dorfpunk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:24 am

No. I have definitely made that mistake before but that is why I have the entity info box there. I have put the same material on both sides of the face just to be sure. Still - I am getting silver paving

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Just because you have the material on the front AND back faces doesn't mean you don't have the back side of the faces showing. Have you checked it in monochrome view to make sure you don't have the back faces showing?

In fact, having the material painted on both faces is a bad idea. If a face has a material painted on only one face (the face you can actually see in the model), Twilight will automatically detect the correct orientation of the face. But if you have the material painted on both sides, Twilight must assume that you have the front side visible. It's better to just paint the face that is visible.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:58 pm

If it is not a reversed face issue, it could be that the face is z-fighting with another face existing in the same 3D space.
If it is not these two issues, please email a small SketchUp scene with only the material demonstrating the problem paving to support at twilightrender dot com.

Which render setting is being used to render?