Family Room Renovation

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
paappleb
SketchUp: 8.1

Family Room Renovation

Post by paappleb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:01 pm

Hey all. I wanted to continue working on "Project Heartbeat" this past week but ended up doing this job instead on top of my usual 40+ hr full-time job. All done on Easy 9 for only 20 to 30 passes with sun set to 5 in addition to HDRI. Each ran for about 2 hrs. PP brightness and slight contrast correction. Client loved them and started construction the NEXT DAY I sent him the images. Alvydas, your couch and books were a life saver. :D Hope to render longer if I get the chance. CC always welcomed.
Attachments
Fireplace Final.jpg
Fireplace Final.jpg (599.65 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
Front Bar Final.jpg
Front Bar Final.jpg (653.57 KiB) Viewed 7806 times
Bookcase Final.jpg
Bookcase Final.jpg (533.17 KiB) Viewed 7809 times

paappleb

Re: Family Room Renovation

Post by paappleb » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:04 pm

One more image of back bar. Also, posted spherical on pan0.net. See link: http://pan0.net/upano.php?id=2852
Attachments
Back Bar Final.jpg
Back Bar Final.jpg (611.27 KiB) Viewed 7817 times

jchau2007

Post by jchau2007 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi Paapleb,
I like the first and the last images. I like the feel of the space very inviting. Just something I noticed about the images.

1st image: Was it me or the recessed can lights are not centered of the room. Maybe the perspective tricked my eye. The edge of the stone at the bar front is not correct (ask fletch how to correct that)

2nd image: the bar front counter needs to extend out to match the column side. You need to give some knee space otherwise you'll be banging your knee every time you get off the bar stool. Again correct the edge of the stone (maybe some displacement or bump map helps?)

3rd image: maximize the space of the bookcase that gives you to match the 1st image built-in by bringing down the open shelves to the top of the lower cabinet.

4th image: extend the sink counter to the stone column. it looks unfinish right now. if you are worry about the beer tap of the kegerator, drill a hole on the counter to fit the beer tap (i am sure it is do-able). You have 2 different edge styles, bullnose on the sink counter and straight on the bar counter. To uniform that, maybe just pick one.

Hope it helps.

James

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:10 pm

Excellent work, paappleb! :^:

paappleb

Post by paappleb » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks Fletch. Thanks for the cc James. I need to clarify a few things about the end design.

1. The recessed are and are not centered in the middle of the space. Confused you yet? :D The fireplace on the one wall and the bookcase on the far wall are actually not centered. It was a rather awkward space to figure out ways to make it more symmetrical (as requested by the owners).

2. I agree that the top bar counter should come out to meet with the column's edge. Small design over sight on my part. Concerning the stone, a bump map of 10+ was applied to the texture. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, no bump map in the world is able to give the impression of an uneven hard stone edge. Surface yes, edge not to the extent I would need for stone. Only displacement can do it and the only current ruby script for SketchUp that does modeling based on texture is highly unstable when used with large textures. I could have used Artisan and modeled a correct corner but I was already well over my time budget and opted out of doing it.

3. The bookcase is the unfortunate victim of an existing condition. They have cabinetry on the other side of the wall that bumps through and forced me to building on top of it.

4. There was metal railings on the kegerator that conflicted with the Corian counter-top so I stopped it short. Ideally, I would've loved to bring that all the way through. Oh well. I meant to do a bull-nose on the upper counter-top but forgot in my rush. Cie la vie.

Again, thanks for the CC. I hope to re-render these soon.

paappleb

Post by paappleb » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:55 pm

Finally getting around to posting these updates. I feel they are an improvement but could still be better. Only let them run on Easy 10 for 50 passes. The owners ended up foregoing the sink in lieu of moving their popcorn machine to the new family room. Turning my attention to finally getting Project: Heart Beat moving again... stay tuned...
Attachments
Front Bar Redux.jpg
Front Bar Redux.jpg (526.77 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
Back Bar Redux.jpg
Back Bar Redux.jpg (581.82 KiB) Viewed 7487 times

jchau2007

Post by jchau2007 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:26 pm

nice, little detail does count. you got a fist pump for yourself. :gj:

James