Astronomy Museum room 1

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
LauraCristescu

Astronomy Museum room 1

Post by LauraCristescu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 am

Hey guys! Here i am learning twilight as i go, right now im working on my diploma so i need decent renders, not necesarily realistic ones but enough to get the idea of the atmosphere across. This is the...5th try right now im tampering with the lights.

My question is this, how do i achieve a LED display light strip like http://www.brighttechsolutions.com/LED- ... ight-L.jpg without making a band of 100 little spotlights? Im using easy 9, so a light emitter would take longer and would not be as affective, wont light much as you can see in the display cases.

EDIT: second run below...i need to change the wood grain direction on the shelf, and add the texture fabric difuser to the cushion.
Attachments
2h render, left it overnight, pc decided to do an update >.< hence the noise.
2h render, left it overnight, pc decided to do an update >.< hence the noise.
41.jpg (266.13 KiB) Viewed 8157 times
3 and a half hours, changed the ies files to regular spotlights, and added another 2 ceiling lamps, also removed some lights that appeared enabled but were nowhere in the scene. Post pro included
3 and a half hours, changed the ies files to regular spotlights, and added another 2 ceiling lamps, also removed some lights that appeared enabled but were nowhere in the scene. Post pro included
kk.jpg (389.15 KiB) Viewed 8136 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Astronomy Museum room 1

Post by Fletch » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:12 pm

search for led light strip in the search box brings up these helpful topics

Subject: Too many lights in scene ??
Subject: Modelling LED light bar with point or spot?

This first link is exactly what you need!

Emitter surfaces are best with easy 09!

LauraCristescu

Post by LauraCristescu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Oo..i need to re-read the stuff...i thought that emitters only work till easy 9 to be fake, because after they actually emit and bounce lights around..

Thank you for the links!

I'll post the nexy render once i have most fixed...i realised i cant use pendant lights...:( damn ceiling.

LauraCristescu

Post by LauraCristescu » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Second room..i think im getting the hang of the spotlights and their angles, the ones provided by you guys are awesome to use. Took 5h on my intel core duo cpu with 3GHz, and 6GB of ram..im starting to think my pc is a tad absolete for renderings.

One thing i don't understand is why this scene is way way almost half the file size than the other posted above. Same materials used, same, lights, same furniture, even more curves in this one..

Should i ditch the silhouetes in favor of actual people pictures?
Attachments
rotonada 7_filtered 2.jpg
rotonada 7_filtered 2.jpg (121.61 KiB) Viewed 8057 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:13 pm

The smaller file size is likely due to the textures used. People in renderings are very difficult to do well and are usually avoided. You can check or compare the speed of your machine against others in the bauhaus lamp speed test thread.

sshiffermiller
SketchUp: 8

Post by sshiffermiller » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:36 am

I think if you are going for a photo real image "picture" people are a must. Fletch is right that it is difficult, and often they are the worst looking part of a rendering, but If done right, they really make the scene 'real'.