Endless Knot - Celtic Knot

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Endless Knot - Celtic Knot

Post by Fletch » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:26 pm

Stumbled across this little gem of a program, creates 3D endless knots (celtic knots) for free in OBJ format (and others).
This was a fascinating related site which teaches you how to draw them for yourself.

I would like to create a nice endless knot lamp to print on a 3D printer. :!: :idea: :?:

Using JF obj importer plugin for SketchUp did not allow me to import the 3D file, but I was able to open the OBJ into Deep Exploration and export as .skp file.
Which opened perfectly into SketchUp. I know there are other obj importer plugins for SU I was just too lazy to install them. ;)

Then inside of SketchUp:
I used Artisan to subdivide and smooth the geometry. (could have used one or two more subdivides :oops: )
Painted the object a color of red (or red and yellow).
Used the Twilight Material Editor Template > Blurry Metal

Then I inserted the Twilight Lighting Photo Studio from the Twilight Components pack.
I turned off the sun light, and set sky to Sky Probe and used the apartment probe from this thread or this thread to light the scene.
I set exposure to .5 or .6 in the camera tab, and adjusted the gamma to .9 or something.
Render on Easy 09.

In the second knot, I discovered the 3D geometry options in the program, so eliminated the need for Artisan for subdividing/smoothing.
Attachments
endlessknot-rendertest-1.jpg
endlessknot-rendertest-1.jpg (165.57 KiB) Viewed 6547 times
endlessknot-212.jpg
endlessknot-212.jpg (192.34 KiB) Viewed 6014 times

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Re: Endless Knot - Celtic Knot

Post by Gareth » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:35 pm

wow.....!

now my head hurts

olishea

Re: Endless Knot - Celtic Knot

Post by olishea » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 pm

ahhh my head hurts!

Fletch, you know they can now print in metals? Stainless steel, brass, bronze, GOLD! I really want to print some stainless vases, they don't have that "spun" appearance though, different surface effect. A nice resin would be good for a lamp material.

http://i.materialise.com/materials
Oli