Photorealism Achieved!

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Archavi

Photorealism Achieved!

Post by Archavi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I haven't posted in a little while, as I've been very busy with school work and life. :) Here is a render I made a couple months ago, that I havn't had a chance to put on the forum yet. For this one, I tried to make a render that was completly photorealistic and indistinguashible from a photo. I've tricked a few of my friends with it. ;) I'm thinking of re-rendering this scene in Twilight V2 to see what I can come up with, but I'm very happy with how the render turned out. Hope you all like it too!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 9.39.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-01 at 9.39.04 AM.png (635.66 KiB) Viewed 12561 times

Frolfer12

Re: Photorealism Achieved!

Post by Frolfer12 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:02 pm

This render is beautiful. Very nice job. The lighting is so subtle and the couch material looks very soft.

Archavi

Post by Archavi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:08 pm

Frolfer12 wrote:This render is beautiful. Very nice job. The lighting is so subtle and the couch material looks very soft.
Thanks Frolfer12! :)

leedeetee

Post by leedeetee » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:56 pm

This is great! Fooled me too!
The above is probably a stupid question. Thank-you for your patience.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 pm

very nice, Archavi. :rspkt:

TIP
Comparing a rendering to a photo on a properly calibrated screen and properly tonemapping the image is the number one way to reach photorealistic lighting.

Archavi

Post by Archavi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:59 pm

leedeetee wrote:This is great! Fooled me too!
Thanks a lot Leedeetee!

Archavi

Post by Archavi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:15 pm

Fletch wrote:very nice, Archavi.

TIP
Comparing a rendering to a photo on a properly calibrated screen and properly tonemapping the image is the number one way to reach photorealistic lighting.
Thanks Fletch! :) What do you mean by tone mapping? I know what tone mapping is, I just don't get how it makes more realistic lighting.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:21 pm

You have done an excellent job here with the tonemapping.

When rendering with the Easy1-7, avoid tonemapping while rendering. But when rendering with Easy8-10 you can tonemap the image while render is in progress. The tonemapping, when done right, makes any image, even some of the worst renderings (obviously not the case here! :^: ) look better. Since the tonemapping allows one to deepen the darks without darkening the lights or vice-versa it gives much possibility before saving the image out of Twilight. Once saved in .jpg format a lot of image info is lost. If you save to .hdr you can tonemap it in an external image editor that can handle this image format.

Our eyes are so great/fast at adjusting to the lighting which we are observing when we are in a space, that it's difficult for us to tonemap an image while observing light in a real space, but if we compare our image with a photo with similar lighting situation, we can more easily compare the lights and darks of the image, as well as the overall color tone (temperature adjustment post process feature in v2).

I hope you will post your work like this on places like Facebook or other forums, because you deserve to be recognized as an artist, and Twilight deserves to shine as well. :D

Archavi

Post by Archavi » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Fletch wrote:You have done an excellent job here with the tonemapping.

When rendering with the Easy1-7, avoid tonemapping while rendering. But when rendering with Easy8-10 you can tonemap the image while render is in progress. The tonemapping, when done right, makes any image, even some of the worst renderings (obviously not the case here! :^: ) look better. Since the tonemapping allows one to deepen the darks without darkening the lights or vice-versa it gives much possibility before saving the image out of Twilight. Once saved in .jpg format a lot of image info is lost. If you save to .hdr you can tonemap it in an external image editor that can handle this image format.

Our eyes are so great/fast at adjusting to the lighting which we are observing when we are in a space, that it's difficult for us to tonemap an image while observing light in a real space, but if we compare our image with a photo with similar lighting situation, we can more easily compare the lights and darks of the image, as well as the overall color tone (temperature adjustment post process feature in v2).

I hope you will post your work like this on places like Facebook or other forums, because you deserve to be recognized as an artist, and Twilight deserves to shine as well. :D
Thanks so much Fletch! In terms of posting on Facebook, I actually do have a page for my renders. I doubt it will let me post a link on the forum, but if you search for Archavi Studio on Facebook, my page should pop up. I haven't posted in a little while, but after this encouragement, I think I will. :)

I've also been working on a few stone and concrete materials using the deep material editor that look really nice. Custom bump and spec maps of course. ;) I can share them with everyone if you'd like. I can PM you a few of the material test renders so you can see what the materials look like.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:03 pm

I believe you can post a link here to your facebook.
Also, please post your renderings to Twilight Render's facebook page! :hat:
And don't forget, after you create a material you like in the deep editor, you can export it for later use.