French Style Home evening

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
TSolt

French Style Home evening

Post by TSolt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:30 pm

Heres my latest render on a French Style home, using a slight bump on the brick texture. I also had a panoramic skyline being reflected on the windows, a bit much on one window but I like the affect. Suggestions welcomed, Thanks!
Attachments
Final Render (2).jpg
Final Render (2).jpg (275.24 KiB) Viewed 6439 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: French Style Home evening

Post by Chris » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Very nice model. The lights along the path and on the house are great. The lighting on the building is very bright in the context of the background image (which seems like a cloudy night). Like an extremely bright moon.

TSolt

Post by TSolt » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 pm

I'm trying to find a good setting for a evening shot that doesn't come out so dark that you don't see the homes features. I turn down the sun level to 1 or .75 and also add lighting. Also need a good spherical background that brings reflection to the windows., I used an urban evening spherical image for this one.

Natron

Post by Natron » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 pm

One thing you can do is add a slight purple coloured tinge to the light as well. This makes it seem more "night-like", and it lets your lights really pop, especially if they're a little yellower. I did this a while ago and it took me quite a while to figure out how to light it, as well. In my render (below) I ended up going with the sun brightness at .03 and the sky brightness (physical sky) at .03 as well with a purple colour of 180, 180, 205. It's too dark for this to look realistic in a city, but out in the forest it feels extra dark, so I kept it like that.
Cabin Render
Cabin Render
Cabin_MArch7_WT.jpg (268.5 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
Attachments
Edited by Fletch - exposure tone map adjusted in post-pro
Edited by Fletch - exposure tone map adjusted in post-pro
Naton-Lighter-Cabin_MArch7_WT.jpg (515.07 KiB) Viewed 6186 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:16 am

Tsolt, I like it, good work! I think the sky could be more exciting/attractive. I think the light colors could be much warmer.

Natron, nice work, as with the image above, your lights could be warmed up as their colors don't look realistic.

Here are a couple exterior photos, not renderings, I saved recently as a personal reference, perhaps they will be of interest to you.

Subject: Pool at night
Fletch wrote:Set your background lights to this color
rgb(255, 163, 70)
To match much more closely to the reference photo.
When you load this bright orange into the light's color slot, it will look strange, but as you can see, it renders surprisingly close to the reference image.
Attachments
Pool-night-big-palms.jpg
Pool-night-big-palms.jpg (171.49 KiB) Viewed 6396 times