Tutorial spot light settings preview ?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
billygo

Tutorial spot light settings preview ?

Post by billygo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:24 pm

have recommended sketchup link open at the same time working with video but unable to render. Render is just Black. Anyone know why? sorry - first time on this video.
Thanks, Billy

http://twilightrender.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 768#p34768 vide at bottom of page Spot Light Settings Preview

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Tutorial spot light settings preview ?

Post by Fletch » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi Billy, you will need to provide the scene you are working with, or at least provide more information and step-by-step how we can replicate your problem.
Sorry to hear of the trouble.

You need to place a light into the scene using Twilight Render Light placement tool, and then render. There is no light in the scene to begin with.

billygo

Post by billygo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Rendering Help Pic.jpg
Rendering Help Pic.jpg (118.51 KiB) Viewed 10351 times
I have windows 7 and enough power to do everything else? Thanks for your help.
It appears that when set:
at 1 watt, (edit Light) setting, like in the video, the render is totally Black after rendering
at 100 watts, (edit Light) setting, the render is not too bright
at 1000 watts in the setting, it looks like the video

The pic is with the settings at 100 watts

billygo

Post by billygo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:37 pm

Rendering Help2 Pic.jpg
Rendering Help2 Pic.jpg (90.57 KiB) Viewed 10351 times
Here's what the video looks like as compared to the last Pic of my computer thanks

billygo

Post by billygo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:38 pm

mine was set at 100 - dark render
theirs was at 1.00 - light render - hard to read on video?

billygo

Post by billygo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:42 pm

could it be that the video is set on 1000 watts although it was recommended to use 100? I have SU20114 and there's no 100% sign under the 100

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:19 pm

The video uses the old lighting method which uses an efficiency value. See that the old method is at 100% efficiency? No incandescent 100 watt bulb is more than 3% efficient. The new method uses a much more accurate lumens-per-watt efficacy conversion (not the same thing). The new method also makes some additional calculations for spotlights that the old method was missing.

The new method is much more accurate in presenting realistic lighting levels. The old one produced lighting that was over-bright. So if you are trying to reproduce realistic lighting using incandescent bulbs, set the lm/w to the incandescent value (which it is by default) and choose your desired bulb wattage. Or just switch to setting the lumens directly.

If the scene is not bright enough, remember that there is one additional component that photographs (and eyeballs) have. That is exposure level. You may need to increase your exposure level (lower right corner of the render window, Post Production) to achieve your desired brightness.

We should probably update the video with the new lighting settings. :oops:

billygo

Post by billygo » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:48 pm

The video was made in February of 2015 but is misleading.

So I got to the second video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lcmX7_g8T0 and now seeing that I do not have the Exploration Render Program unless I purchase the full version, so how am I supposed to check my own testing as I am participating on the link in Sketchup?

Some people do not have Sketchup 2015 or can afford to upgrade every year, and some can not afford the full lighting programs, yet it seems for the purpose of making the sale, and making one upgrade, you are leaving out key ingredients in the learning process.

Peace, Billy

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi Billy,
You do not "need" exploration render to learn how to do lighting in Twilight Render, version 1 did not have it, and everyone seemed to make amazing art work without it. :)
There is a lighting preview for all to use, as you prove by posting your screenshots.

We updated the way lighting was handled in Twilight after creating the lighting tutorial because in the making of that tutorial we discovered a better way to do lighting so that it would be as accurate as we could make it for architecture. This is no "scam" it's normal software development - to improve one's product.

The Exploration Render is worth the upgrade price, it is normal that software developers should desire to make money from their efforts, no? We have given the world Twilight V2 Hobby unlimited resolution for free, so it's strange and unfair for you to be attacking us. :v: