Speeding up rendering times?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Equis

Re: Speeding up rendering times?

Post by Equis » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Ok, I reduced the size to 2400px wide and removed the bump from the tile and it rendered much quicker. On Low I think it was around 5 hours.

However, the image below is still at 12+ hours and it didn't even finish. I'm going to scour the materials to see if there's something I'm missing. Final images for both are due tomorrow and they're not even getting us feedback until later today. They really don't understand how long these things can take...
2400 low resized.jpg
2400 low resized.jpg (257.39 KiB) Viewed 11917 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:05 pm

:!

Low+ will give long render times because of the fuzzy tracing on the specular sampling (colors from adjacent materials reflecting sofly in adjacent materials)
If you are using Light Emitting surfaces, this is what is causing long render times...

Low will not look good with soft shadows. So using the alternative AA methods I mentioned early is the best alternative. Or set sun to not have soft shadows.

If I were in a big hurry I would reset all materials in the scene, make sure I set all mesh emitters (light emitting surfaces/faces) to "fake" and put a spot light below the mesh emitter... set spot to be power of 5, hotspot 90 falloff 170, radius .1

Tracing soft shadows on all the lights, tracing fuzzy reflections in every surface with specular, tracing specular reflections on all those surfaces for all those lights, etc, just plain means long render times.

Set all surfaces to be Generic:Reset
Then only for the floor and any KEY surfaces, set it to have some reflection in it like a Plastic:Satin with some bump. It is the specular on so many surfaces, not the bump alone, that is adding to render times.

Fastest rendering light = spot
Point lights = approx. 2x as long as spots
IES lights take more than 2x longer to render than a normal spot.
Light Emitting Square = min. 3x longer than a spot or more.

This would be a challenging scene to light 'quickly'... it would actually take a lot of work to get this scene to look realistic, yet render quite quickly. Either I would just light is as you did before and do all materials as the 'should be' and render with progressive render, or I would use some creative lighting techniques to make it look 'close enough'... but you will need to get rid of all the specular reflections on so many surfaces. Possibly turn of soft shadows for all your lights... that would render much faster.

You could in future learn to net render Easy 09 using Kerkythea on 5 machines at once.

Equis

Post by Equis » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Network rendering would be fun! (I've done that using Lightscape back in the day.) I've been trying to export my model to KT, but I haven't had much luck. I've tried SU2KT and saving using Twilight's XML button, but the lights never seem to make the jump to KT.

I'm paring down the material reflections and "fixing" the lights for tonight's render...

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi Equis, just letting you know we have the files you sent, thanks.
Also wanted to make sure you download and try the light components we released recently.... they may come in very handy for you.

Equis

Post by Equis » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:21 pm

I saw those, but haven't downloaded them yet. I will definitely be looking for those soon!

Fletch

Re: Speeding up rendering times? [resolved- textures too large]

Post by Fletch » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:31 pm

Just to follow up, so that others wondering about this will know...
Equis, amazingly one key question we never asked you:
What are the specs for your rendering machine? single core? dual core? what speed is the processor? windows? mac with vmware? 64bit?

The only problem with the scene was that several textures were unnecessarily extremely large. They were mostly food items and take up a very small portion of the final rendering... just a few pixels wide in the final.

Resizing the textures - anything bigger than 1400px wide (general good rule of thumb is most textures will not occupy more than half of a final image, and therefore, can be half the final resolution)... if 2400px is final res, 1200px would be biggest texture file, except in rare cases. (foreground wall close up, or something)

After resizing textures, this scene exported fine and rendered on Low+ in 1.5hrs on a dual core centrino 2ghz machine.
The .skp file went from 57 down to 40Mb, and could have probably gone smaller with some effort.
The xml exported ended up less than 16mb. One png image file remained at 7mb that should have been resized, but it was not necessary.

Hope this helps people in future.

Several files now received by Twilight support have had the same problem... a few textures that are extremely big can fill the RAM quickly and crash the system.
resizing them will not generally lose anything in quality, but will save much time/frustration. ;)

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:02 am

Try Goldilocks to tell you which textures are oversized:
http://www.forums.sketchucation.com/vie ... 23&t=22658

Equis

Re: Speeding up rendering times? [resolved- textures too large]

Post by Equis » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Fletch wrote:Equis, amazingly one key question we never asked you:
What are the specs for your rendering machine? single core? dual core? what speed is the processor? windows? mac with vmware? 64bit?
What? You mean I shouldn't be rendering with my Pentium II, 300MHz? :D

I'm running 64-bit Vista on a dual core E7300 2.66GHz with 4GB of RAM. Not a bad machine for everything else I do, but now I'm wishing I had more cores. I know I can overclock it, so maybe it's time to start looking into that.

I'll be looking into Goldilocks, too.

Thanks everyone for your help. Just an FYI, we're starting another project and I chose to do the exterior rendering instead of the interior, so be ready for more questions. :P

Rob

sven7836
SketchUp: 8

Post by sven7836 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23 am

Hi I am a new user of twilight render
Are there and tips when it comes to rendering my scene?? it is taking rather long. I am rendering on low (as recommended)

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:14 pm

Hi Sven,
First, make sure you have a good render machine, you can compare your machine to others, here:
Subject: How Fast Are You - Official Twilight Scene - Bauhaus Lamp

Be sure to work your way through the tips and tricks master list.
Subject: Best Of Tips and Tricks - The Master List

Next, render times increase with materials and lights. More materials = more render time, or More Lights = more render time.
Avoid applying material templates to every single surface in the scene if your render times matter. Apply material templates to only major surfaces that matter most to you, such as the floor, for instance.

Lights can quickly increase render times when done carelessly, for lights, see some of the tips and tricks below.

Subject: Color of Lights / Light Render Speed Comparison
Subject: pointlight / light emitter
Subject: Light Emitting Surface Options - VIDEO