Sky Portal

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Zacchia
SketchUp: 7.1.6860

Sky Portal

Post by Zacchia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi
Because i do not really understand about it and reading is also not so easy for me i ask if someone can make a videotutorial to explaing what is happening when and how to use/apply a skyportal. Do i have to replace the window material? Is it something like physical sky?
Windows XP, Arcon VA HausDesigner Professional, SketchUp Pro, CasCADos 2.0.551, TheaRender, TwilightRender

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Sky Portal

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:56 am

if you download the Classroom Scene there are 4 "special" scene tabs.
They set up different lighting situations for the classroom.

Please let me know if they are not there for some reason. :totgm:

One of the Tabs says "Portal On". Click it. To turn it off, click the "Sun and Sky" scene tab.
This will enable the portal for the scene, and allow you to see how it it built.

I also put this very rough/quick video tutorial together for you as well... ;)

Zacchia
SketchUp: 7.1.6860

Post by Zacchia » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:26 am

I must say it no for the whole world: Fletch; i love you :hug: :hug: :rofl:
Windows XP, Arcon VA HausDesigner Professional, SketchUp Pro, CasCADos 2.0.551, TheaRender, TwilightRender

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:15 pm

:oops:
:lol:

lukkk

Post by lukkk » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:47 pm

Is there any chance for hobby user to donwload sky portal and classroom scene?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:45 pm

If it isn't currently available, then no, it is available only to licensed users.

If you have questions about where to find the Sky Portal material (Templates -> Emitter -> Sky Portal) or how to use it, let us know and we will be happy to help you figure it out.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Chris is correct, as always, but - personally, I would avoid sky portals.
see also: Applying materials

Sky portal is for a very specific case - only for use with interiors rendered with Easy 09 or Easy 10. If this is not the case, it is suggested not to use it.

If you are rendering with Easy 09 or Easy 10, the point of using Sky Portal is that it is supposed to, theoretically, cause all the photons from sun and sky to enter into the space through the portal. The purpose of doing this is, theoretically, the image will receive more light photons and resolve/clear more quickly.

After some pretty serious experimentation with different scenes on my part, and others, I've come to the conclusion that sky portal may work. But there are better options for achieving the same goal. These are the same options used in many other render engines...

1 - set spot light or spot lights outside of the space and focused on the windows matching the angle from the sun. adjust radius and color of the spot lights to taste for soft shadow and color of light.

2 - apply light emitter and set it to "invisible" in the template material properties for the emitter material. Apply this light emitter to a plane that fills the window, and just outside the glass a few centimeters/inches.

either of these will much more effectively provide more light coming into the space, and cause the image to render more quickly on Easy 09 or Easy 10 render settings.

lukkk

Post by lukkk » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:09 am

Thank you guys for help. These are my first steps with rendering so not everything is for me clear.
First of all I can't see Applying materials topic. I have no permission.
Back to rendering: I am trying to render empty room with view on the window. But always rest of the room is to dark. Maybe you can upload some simply example how would you do that.

Thanks.
Attachments
empty room with spot lights as the sun
empty room with spot lights as the sun
preview.jpg (138.57 KiB) Viewed 8732 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:23 am

Increase exposure of the image in the Render Window.

See example:
Subject: Render Challenge No1 for Twilight V2

See also:
Subject: Interior Renderings - Exposure for Background Outside

Please read the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) starting out you will learn a lot here,
your question is possibly the most commonly asked question. Subject: Light through a window...