Anyone need some rural textures?

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
flipya
SketchUp: 7

Anyone need some rural textures?

Post by flipya » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:21 pm

For the next week (or maybe two) I'll be in a very very very rural part of Poland, the kind of place where you get zero bars on your phone and noone you talk to has even heard of internet. I'm bringing camera's though :D Shitty ones I admit, cos my real cam died last week, but I can still provide you with some textures if you want. 12 MP Jpegs and/or RAWs.

As I said it's pretty rural, but there's a few castles, monasteries and rockformations around. Lots of palaces, ruined, semi-restored and former-glory type. I'll be shooting textures anyway since we have a full week of overcast ahead, so if anyone needs any special details I'd be glad to look for it.

Leaving in 36 hours so be quick ;)

P.S. I know most people won't find this topic useful at all, just throwing out a line hoping I can help someone out
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Anyone need some rural textures?

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Thanks Flipya! :^:
I guess having no idea what you will see, it will be difficult to request, but if you find some 'good ones' we'd love to see them 8-)

flipya

Post by flipya » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:39 am

You could check the Google Earth/Panoramio-pictures in the area of "Janowice Wielkie, Poland" cos that's relatively close to where I'm staying. Pretty pictures of the surroundings :D

What's unique about the area is that it's one of the few spots left in Europe where you can find complete ruins and perfectly restored palaces. It's just one of those unspoilt places where you don't even need to be interested in CGI to appreciate the textures :D What usually happens to me is that I get caught up in the landscape and the natural flow of things that I forget to take in (and take pictures of) the details...
I'll go hunt for some good ones as you said, and post them here... Hell, it´s not Africa, but just as beautiful.
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

pbmax

Post by pbmax » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:01 pm

sounds beautiful. i'd just like to see pictures of area. please post them when you can.

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:29 pm

Wish you a good trip, mate!
Would anybody say no if you'd share some nice texures here? Don't think so!
On the other hand, while writing this I think about how many photos of textures are in my collection that are wasting space because I never use them for the reason I am always too lazy to make them seamless.
How about gathering a workshop of volunteers that make your photos into a useful collection? If every one of us just photoshops one single texture and paints one bumpmap it is not so much effort for the single person, but in reward we get a whole bunch of textures that everyone would find really valuable. They could even make it to the twilight-library with te help of a few KT-wizards.
Well, its just a suggestion - for me this also would be fun because we could sharpen our skills together in a non-competetive way.

BTW : Janowice Wielkie is a fascinating place, i love the rocks they have there. Also the minature buildings in Kowarys Park are so cool.
http://images.google.de/images?hl=de&so ... =&aql=&oq=

If you'd need a mission and would ask me what kind of photos I am seeking for: high resolution winter-trees with only sky behind them. I find it very hard to get clipmaps made from realisic trees without leaves or snow. (some may find this boring, but I really get off on branches;)

fair winds
alex

flipya

Post by flipya » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks Shura! JW is indeed lovely, no matter which season you visit in :) And the rocks, ahhhh so beautiful! My friends' house where I stay is just beside the river, so every morning I wake up and have to dash for the bathroom :lol:
I'll give those trees a go, bringing a 12MP and 8MP camera so they won't be superhires but hopefully enough to work with... It's a pretty hilly area so shouldn't be too hard to find an angle that gives only sky as BG.
Btw, I actually know the guy who does the maintenance on all those miniature buildings :shock:

The texture-workshop idea sounds great! I'm pretty good at making seamless textures for organic materials (but then again, who isn't), but not yet so skilled when it comes to irregular structural patterns such as medieval brickwork. I'd love to contribute where I can!

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:00 pm

This is making me a bit jealous... although I like winter, one gets fed up with it very easily when living in a big city. dont see much nature apart from walking in the park :)
So you know the maintenace guy? Did you teach him Sketchup yet? bet he'd love it. These Models are really very well crafted, must be fun to work with.
Glad you like my idea, it came to me just like that. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me. I am good at PS but aint too experienced with making maps... might learn something new when joining forces.
Have a safe travel and ejoy your stay
lx

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:14 pm

I've had good luck w/ tripod, raw format, and a still day (no wind) ... got some very hi-res/fine detail on long-needle pine... which was very difficult in any other way.

flipya

Post by flipya » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am

Well I'm back in Amsterdam. Poland was awesome as usual. First half of the week was a continuous blizzard, second half blazing sun. Unfortunately Shura, it was way too windy to be shooting trees. I'll see what I can do outside the city this week and/or next. Did shoot a few things that might turn out to be useable textures, if I create any tileables from them I'll post 'em on the forums of course. Managed to pick up a nice gig when I was there, previzzing a huge 200 year old farmhouse that's up for restoration. CADs from the (Polish) architect won't arrive for another week though...

Glad to be back and read up on all I missed here :D

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:30 am

welcome home!
hope they are better CAD dwgs than I get in Croatia... they are more like CAD sketchy ideas sort of looking like the house... they almost get a dimension right every now and then too! :roll: