Help please re creating a "strip light"

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
superwomanusa

Help please re creating a "strip light"

Post by superwomanusa » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi there all ,

I'm a new user to TR (so far loving it) and am on a college deadline. I'd be very grateful for some advice on how to create a strip light. I've got some book shelves that I want to light from the inner top edge of the shelf. The image below is what I'm trying to recreate.

Many thanks in advance.

Siobhan
Attachments
Library_Optimized_Big.jpg
Library_Optimized_Big.jpg (11.86 KiB) Viewed 8495 times

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Re: Help please re creating a "strip light"

Post by Ecuadorian » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Make a long rectangle, apply an "emitter" material template to its material, and render with preset Easy 09. :)

superwomanusa

Post by superwomanusa » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for the quick response and advice. I wasn't sure if I should place the emitter parallel to the ceiling of the shelf or parallel to the back wall of the shelf. The render is running now so we'll see.

I made the light emitter 100W - will this be enough?

How long do you advise that I let Preset Easy 09 run for?

Thanks again in advance.

Siobhan

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:49 pm

Here's a component I made for you to simply place in your model at the top of each shelf and render.

Things to think about with lights and render times, (and getting the most out of them.)
colors of lights are very important... feel free to tweak the color of the light emitter in the component below. **edit** fixed component to match closely the example image provided.

This light renders fast on Low, but will not necessarily look its best. It renders "ok" on Medium, but Medium+ or higher is suggested... in case you are in a hurry and don't want to wait for Easy09 (the best)
Attachments
bookshelf-light.jpg
bookshelf-light.jpg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 8604 times
Twilight_Indoor_BookshelfUnderCabStrip_100w.skp
(16.52 KiB) Downloaded 706 times

superwomanusa

Post by superwomanusa » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:13 am

Fletch that looks just amazing!!!! :D

I was aware of the colours of lights but I'm really still very much a beginner so its still trial and error. I did the rectangle thing like Miguel sugested, but when it was tucked behind the "lid" of the shelf edge, it just wasn't emitting anything at all.

Thanks for the skp file. My eyes are seriously square now (1am here) so I'll give this a bash in the morning.

Will let you know how it goes.

Many thanks for your help.

Siobhan