Television types.

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Television types.

Post by Mike1158 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:03 am

OK, I have an old crt television, not particularly special but it works and I am looking into a hd set of some kind but frankly have little clue.

LED, plasma or lcd? Brands worth considering for what price (UK)?

I know tesco's are suggesting a 40" sony bravia 3 lcd with wireless and freeview hd box is worth £550 including a trade in of the old set.

Essentially opinions are welcome, anything to get through the mire that is advertising. I would like advertisors to tell me what I need to

know rather than the cup size of the model who is fronting the ad, no chance then.....

olishea

Re: Television types.

Post by olishea » Mon May 17, 2010 10:40 am

Plasma is old technology now. The lifetime of a plasma is not as long as LCD or LED. Also, the colour fades, pixels die more frequently and you get images 'burnt' onto the screen. Say if you pause a video you are sometimes left with a 'ghost' image left behind. occasionally its permanent as with my friend's plasma (you can always see a little sky one logo burnt into the screen!)

LED is latest technology and very expensive although I think they are aiming at the approaching 3D market. I really couldn't notice any difference between LED and LCD....except for the price tag and maybe the LED was slightly brighter.

If you want high quality HD at best price then I would recommend LCD. especially the sony bravia LCDs. The depth of the colours, and more importantly the blacks is phenomenal. Of course you can buy cheaper TVs at Tesco....I'm pretty sure there is a 40" technika LCD for around £400. but I don't think the quality would compare well to the sony. My mother recently bought a 46" sony bravia LCD and I have never seen HD as clear. It really blew me away the first time I saw it.
Oli

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Post by flipya » Mon May 17, 2010 11:08 am

Hehe I'm still waiting for my CRT's to die :lol:
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Zacchia
SketchUp: 7.1.6860

Post by Zacchia » Mon May 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Right now they present a brand new kind of TV: a real 3d television... from Samsung. This is maybe great!

http://www.samsung.com/us/
Windows XP, Arcon VA HausDesigner Professional, SketchUp Pro, CasCADos 2.0.551, TheaRender, TwilightRender

Mike1158

Post by Mike1158 » Tue May 18, 2010 7:20 am

My CRT has shown no signs of leaving volunraily. Thing is, the government is quite likely to push tax on these products by quite a bit so buying now may well save a fair bit of dosh.

olishea

Post by olishea » Tue May 18, 2010 3:19 pm

yeah go for it man...i mean £550 for a HD LCD is good value. you could go cheaper but I would rather have a sony any day. :^:

LED will be very very expensive....and there will not be an abundance of 3D programmes/films any time soon. no matter what they say....there aint even that many HD channels on sky, let alone 3D.
Oli

Mike1158

Post by Mike1158 » Sat May 22, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks very much for the assistance shaps, mind made up.