Camera Been Stolen?

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Stu

Camera Been Stolen?

Post by Stu » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:08 am

I'm sure there are a few camera buffs here [Fletch? :)].....and the thought of having your gear stolen isnt pleasant!

However...if it ever happened...and the thief was just a little bit stupid...there is a chance you could get it back by doing your own homework.
This story, still continuing, from an Australian camera forum, is about a guy who tracked down his Canon 5D MK11 after it had been stolen two and a half years before.
Using http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/ he discovered someone was posting images on Flickr with the Exif data indicating the photos had been taken with a camera with his stolen camera's serial number.
He ended up finding the identity of the person...where they lived, worked...their facebook page....just about everything! :)
THe cops have all the info at the moment.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=1826005

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Camera Been Stolen?

Post by Chris » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Hmm.... Yikes! While this would be great for someone to recover a stolen camera, imagine someone else taking a photo you posted online and using that website to track down other photos you posted elsewhere, and by extension details about your life. :?

sshiffermiller
SketchUp: 8

Post by sshiffermiller » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:33 pm

Yes, except I tried it with my camera, which I know has seriously hundreds of pictures all over the internet, and it found nothing. Cool idea though.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Depends if the camera is programmed to embed the machine's info into the image data.
Also, I imagine, it depends if after the pic is taken it is edited and "save>as" is used before posting the image.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:24 am

ps - Stu - the camera was indeed recovered and returned to the owner.