first Time using Animation ?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
billygo

first Time using Animation ?

Post by billygo » Thu May 26, 2016 4:04 pm

I put together a simple sketchup test video using a 10X10 block with different textures on each side and one scene per side i.e. Front, Right, Back, Left Top.
It renders fine for individual renders

In the advanced animation setting I set the end time 20.000 and frame rate 10.000 I can see that the Animation editor is working.

I was able to Render the images as a movie in Windows Movie Maker but the video was several minutes Long?
What minimal settings should I use to create a video that should last 10 seconds and what framerate should I use, does that have anything to do with the time of video? Thanks

Thanks Billy G
Attachments
Forum1.jpg
Forum1.jpg (115.48 KiB) Viewed 2779 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: first Time using Animation ?

Post by Chris » Thu May 26, 2016 5:08 pm

A few things to point out:
  1. Your animation end time is set to 20 sec. but your entire SketchUp animation only lasts 8 sec.. This means the last frame of the animation will be rendered over and over (probably ~100 times). There is not normally any reason for your render end time to exceed the SU animation end time.
  2. Frames-per-second when rendering is kind of an abstract term (but is important!). By default, SketchUp sets a 2 second transition time between 'scenes'. Twilight Render uses each 'scene' as a kind of "keyframe". So every 2 seconds (or whatever you set it to), there is a "keyframe". Twilight Render steps from scene A to scene B in a fixed increment. This increment is set by the FPS. So, if you have 10 frames-per-second, and SU sets 2 second transitions between scenes, you now have 20 frames between scenes (2 x 10 = 20). So with FPS, you are setting the total number of frames as well as the number of frames between each "keyframe".
  3. Where fps, and time in general, becomes important is when you take your animated frames and convert them to a movie. Typically you will want to make sure your FPS in move maker matches your FPS when rendering; 10 FPS in TWR => 10 FPS in movie maker. But really, there is absolutely no reason it has to; if you set your FPS in movie maker to 20, the movie will run twice as fast as the animation in SU. It's up to your needs. If you final movie is several minutes long, my guess is you set it to 1 FPS (~200 seconds)?