Ice castle

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Danbou

Ice castle

Post by Danbou » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:48 pm

First of all, a big thank for this wonderful software "TWILIGHT".

I'm working on our new ice castle concept for our event in february 2010. I'm really not a SU pro or a renderig software pro(like some in this forum) but I think the combinaison of SU and TL (two relatively easy software)is very interesting for people like me, who didn't have a real formation in 3D drawing and who work with this kind of softwares just few hours per weeks.

Yesterday, I tried to render our ice castle in TL and I'm very happy with the first result.

I hope I'll have enough time for increase my ability with this wonderful software.

Comment are welcome.

Daniel
Attachments
Ice castle
Ice castle
Palais 2010 - TWL - Render 08 - 10h42m 73-10000 - C.jpg (383.73 KiB) Viewed 11278 times

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Re: Ice castle

Post by Ecuadorian » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi, Danbou. Will it be made of ice blocks?

Danbou

Post by Danbou » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Yes,

Approximatively 6 000 ice blocks (75 pounds each).

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:02 pm

Then perhaps you could use an SSS material similar to this one:
http://twilightrender.com/phpBB3/viewto ... =sss#p2350

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi Daniel,

Indeed, long time no see.

So you are already preparing for this coming winter! :)
True that adding these lights can give much to the models. Looking forward to seeing some images with (maybe) other materials like Miguel suggested.
Gai...

Danbou

Post by Danbou » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:10 am

Hi Ecuadorian, Hi Gaieus,

Ecuadorian,
I saw your topic "Playing with SSS and 3D Warehouse model" 2 weeks ago and to be honest, I tried these setting on other ice project (I like it).

But for the ice castle, I want to be the nearest possible of our ice castle look, with the presence of gap between each block(see other pictures). The ice texture I used for that come from a real ice blocks close up picture I took some years ago. I done a little post processing inside PS to remove repetitive blocks and increase the gap between block.

Usualy, I use only the SU image for the work (construction plans, etc.)and, when I do a rendering, it's only for fun, or to present the final concept in a other way.

With this project, I tried to change the ice texture alpha setting to be able to use light behind the walls. However, when I saw the change on my SU views, my usual working view (I saw inside the ice castle through the walls), I decided to continue with outside lighting. If I have enough time, I'll made a copy of my castle SU file to try your setting and my ice texture with light inside the castle.

Gaieus:

Indeed, long time no see!

Like I said before, I work with SU and now Twilight just few hours each week and generaly, only at home (I'm too busy at the office). Probably like you, english is my second language but your english is far away better then my english. I am regularly on SketchUcation forum and now, on Twilight forum and I'd like to participate more but it's not realy easy with my english!

And finaly, yes, we already begin to work on our next winter edition. Actually, we are working all year round to prepare the next edition and for some others events.
Attachments
Ice blocks.JPG
Ice blocks.JPG (187.64 KiB) Viewed 11210 times
Night Ice blocks.JPG
Night Ice blocks.JPG (61.94 KiB) Viewed 11208 times
Ice blocks texture used
Ice blocks texture used
Blocs de glace LR.jpg (145.99 KiB) Viewed 11212 times

Danbou

Post by Danbou » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:25 am

Just for fun, I tried to render the ice castle with the material proposed by Ecuadorian.

I don't moved the position of lights, I just play with material.

Very interesting!

Thanks Ecuadorian, I'll surely use these settings in others ice projects.
Attachments
Ice castle 2
Ice castle 2
Palais 2010 - Preset 09 - 103 de 10000 - 5h29m.jpg (488.73 KiB) Viewed 11098 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:18 am

To get it to work exactly like a true block of ice, you will want to model it with blocks of ice. ;)
But for modeling something quick, this seems 'close enough'... then when you are ready for the 'final' perhaps change the walls to be built from an ice block component.

olishea

Post by olishea » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:06 pm

awesome project!! you could even overlay the 'brick' courses as simple lines if you are stuck for time.
Oli

Danbou

Post by Danbou » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:37 pm

Like proposed by Fletch,

I have rebuilt the ice castle with ice block component. The castle dimensions are not really the same than the true castle (rebuilt the castle exactly with the right dimensions will be to long for this render test) but the final render is very interesting with the material settings proposed by Miguel.

When I'll have enough time, I'll probably try some more render with differents light setting for ice block (like the yellow lights behind stage)and I'll work on material for roof and flags.

The only problem I have with the render is someone was on the stage when I took the picture.

@olishea

Thanks for the comment
Attachments
Ice castle - North Park -09- 7h41m - 133-10000 B.jpg
Ice castle - North Park -09- 7h41m - 133-10000 B.jpg (326.46 KiB) Viewed 10926 times