Thomas' WIP

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
dspace
SketchUp: 7

Re: school project WIP

Post by dspace » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Definetly the render is getting better in terms of realism. ;)
About the background, I think it's typical of hdr, probably I will over-expose it a little.
My only problem is with a few models or lack of models and those reflective mat for the cabs and holes, kinda confusing....not good. :)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:32 pm

and here is why the 'artistic' approach saves much time and energy. ;)

now we get into details... and for a 'concept' rendering, details waste time, and distract from the matter at hand.

so, agreeing with Dspace,
distracting:
blurry mountain too blurry
the material around the inside of the holes on the ceiling
the floor material scale
detail lacking from windows, like a window frame, etc.
wall base missing... door handles? center astragal of doors too narrow, not realistic...
all this little stuff...

have fun!

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:00 pm

thank you guys, yeah, i guess from now on it should be a habit for me to change the hdri to a higher res picture in pp.

thanks dspace and fletch for the insight! I still need to learn about materials and application of materials, theres just so much to learn when rendering =P obviously having a forum like this allows someone like me to learn much quicker though haha. I will work on the mentioned details and some other ones that i can think of over time. thanks for the help :)

one thing i should do is change the subject name to reflect what i'm doing here like on the SU forum. I'm just putting up my WIPs into this thread to save clutter =D
i personally like the artistic ones simply as you pointed out fletch that they are much quicker and gives a very impressive result to 'clients',but i've always been blown away by the PR renders you guys put out, so I am trying to learn how to make PR renders just because i think they appear more 'sophisticated' and would love to have that in my arsenal for future use.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Thomas' WIP

Post by Fletch » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:23 am

keep 'em coming!
I really like this one best...

grdnblak
SketchUp: 2018

Post by grdnblak » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:29 am

i agree with Fletch, I like that image the best too.

Did you just merge two images? in photoshop for example?

notareal

Post by notareal » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:36 am

Fletch wrote:keep 'em coming!
I really like this one best...
+1

dspace
SketchUp: 7

Post by dspace » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:15 pm

Whatever it is, it's part of a learning curve and the ability to see things differently....I think you already have a great start. ;)

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:37 am

thanks guys!
I too really like that style, i've seen others do it before and always wanted to do one!
unfortunatly its really busy for the next few weeks until final exams are over, so i'll upload some stuff again when winter break starts! hopefully my render skills will have improved by then =P

shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

Post by shura » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:56 am

I've got to chime in here: this is a very attractive presentation style. Twilights' progressive presets produce sometims this warm and soft watercolour look within the first ten passes. It is getting even better when using SSS templates for all geometry.
keep the artworks coming!
alx

olishea

Post by olishea » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:19 pm

Yeah....sometimes the first couple of passes in a progressive render look amazing....really soft yet punchy, I love it!
Oli