Realistic wood textures for alpine chalets

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
ChaletScout

Realistic wood textures for alpine chalets

Post by ChaletScout » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi,
I'm a real estate agent in the French Alps and due to a recent chaotic renovation project I see a need for high quality presentations of chalet builds in ski resorts. I've begun a photo-real. presentation to pitch at a future chalet development with SU8 and Twilight (I tried Kerky but just couldn't progress fast enough) which is going well - I'm at the test render stage so am delving into the world of textures.
The interiors are pretty modern but the traditional finishing for the building shell is a specific kind of aged local pine with a distinctive look so I need to make my own material library for this. I saw a good basic post on creating materials with Photoshop by Fletch but I can't find it again either on Kerky or here so any and all advice on creating realistic wood textures would be much appreciated.
I come from a graphics background and have tried out other rendering packages but nothing comes close the SU and Twilight experience as a first foray into 3D. Well done on a great product - bought my licence today.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Realistic wood textures for alpine chalets

Post by Fletch » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:57 pm

After your license is verified, and you have access to the red carpet resources section there are many great high resolution wood textures at your disposal. There you will also find some good tips on wood material creation and many other components, plants, lights, etc.

Most interesting for you may be the already prepared scenes by Fymoro, you can download the entire scene with lighting, materials, etc.

meanwhile, I think you may be referring to this tutorial by Jon from the KT forum on How to create a material from scratch (from nothing).

ChaletScout

Re: Realistic wood textures for alpine chalets

Post by ChaletScout » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:29 pm

Cheers Fletch. Thanks for the reply I look forward to the red carpet.