How Fast Are You - Official Twilight Scene - Bauhaus Lamp

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
iforwms

Re: How Fast Are You - Official Twilight Scene - Bauhaus Lam

Post by iforwms » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi guys, i just got a new laptop and tried out the Barhaus test, but for some reason I'm getting really slow render times. There are other programs running, but SU is using all the CPU.

Here are my results, any help much appreciated!

-Ifor
barhaus test.png
barhaus test.png (139.32 KiB) Viewed 16114 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:52 pm

:welcome: iforwms

That is very strange. :? I would expect a time on your machine to be something like 30s or less. (Here is a similar, but a bit slower, machine at 35s)

Be sure that you read and follow carefully all the instructions on the original post. Use the correct render setting, don't change the camera, etc.

The only thing I can think of is that you have a machine that is overheating and is slowing down the processor automatically as a safety feature. This happens so that you do not melt your CPU when under full load. (I have seen several people with this situation in the past, the machine does not have sufficient cooling for the intel i7 chip which runs hot. You do not want to see temps above 70 when under full load for extended periods. You do not want to see it over 80 (Celsius) for full load short periods (less than 3 mins)

The way to be sure is to use a program such as "Realtemp" (free) to monitor your core temps while rendering.

When a processor gets too warm, it can literally melt or even start a fire, so it's important to find out what the temps are while rendering.

iforwms

Post by iforwms » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:38 am

Fletch wrote::welcome: iforwms

That is very strange. :? I would expect a time on your machine to be something like 30s or less. (Here is a similar, but a bit slower, machine at 35s)

Be sure that you read and follow carefully all the instructions on the original post. Use the correct render setting, don't change the camera, etc.

The only thing I can think of is that you have a machine that is overheating and is slowing down the processor automatically as a safety feature. This happens so that you do not melt your CPU when under full load. (I have seen several people with this situation in the past, the machine does not have sufficient cooling for the intel i7 chip which runs hot. You do not want to see temps above 70 when under full load for extended periods. You do not want to see it over 80 (Celsius) for full load short periods (less than 3 mins)

The way to be sure is to use a program such as "Realtemp" (free) to monitor your core temps while rendering.

When a processor gets too warm, it can literally melt or even start a fire, so it's important to find out what the temps are while rendering.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Ok, so I just re-ran the model (this time on Low, rather than Low+!!) haha, my bad! Feel a bit better now, down to 30s.

I downloaded Realtemp and the CPU is at ~75-80C during a render. Apparently this is a common problem with Lenovo's (I have a Y500). May be worth looking into improving its cooling.

Thanks for your help, and all the resources on here!
barhaus.png
barhaus.png (174.73 KiB) Viewed 16102 times
designedbywaldo.com

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:56 pm

Ah, that's good.
Low+ has much longer render times because the Anti-aliasing (AA) is much higher quality.

Look into a laptop cooling pad, there are many out there that may not cost you much, but are perfect for cooling it down while rendering.

d12dozr
SketchUp: 8 Pro

Post by d12dozr » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:30 am

Just got a new laptop - Asus G75v - an upgraded version of my last one. I love these machines - portable (as much as a desktop replacement can be), super powerful, and reliable. I'm happy with the results!

27s
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (140.67 KiB) Viewed 16044 times
-Marcus

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Indeed a nice machine, dozr!

carlesv
SketchUp: 8 pro

Post by carlesv » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm using my old laptop and this is the how fast it is:
bauhaus lamp rendered bcn.PNG
bauhaus lamp rendered bcn.PNG (202.84 KiB) Viewed 16023 times
my old laptop.PNG
my old laptop.PNG (16.69 KiB) Viewed 16023 times

bobbechk

Post by bobbechk » Tue May 21, 2013 12:14 pm

(The 6 core CPU is actually running at 4200mhz)

The i7-3930k is looking like a great buy so far!

Edit: Actually performing on par with the intel Xeon E5-2687w (priced at 4x the i7) :whoot:

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed May 22, 2013 6:55 am

:clap: nice!
Can you list some of the specs of your machine so others can see what they may like to buy?
How much did the system cost? (without monitor, mouse, keyboard)

derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

Post by derei » Wed May 22, 2013 9:09 am

that machine is awesome... as Fletch said, please post some detailed specs... :rspkt:
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK