Procedural textures : free opensource software

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
michelh59
SketchUp: 8

Procedural textures : free opensource software

Post by michelh59 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:56 pm

In my poor english with google translate :
Hello,
I don't no know how making some procedural textures, but I found this free opensource software that may be able to serve the masters of the texture :whistle: .
http://neotextureedit.sourceforge.net/
cordially

En français :
Bonjour,
Je ne sais pas bien faire les textures procédurales, mais j'ai trouvé ce logiciel libre qui pourra peut-être servir les maîtres de la texture :whistle: .
http://neotextureedit.sourceforge.net/
Cordialement
Intel Core i7 2630 QM - 2,00 GHz
4 Go de Ram

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Procedural textures : free opensource software

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Hello, Michel, thank you for the link.

In order to use procedural materials with Twilight Render they must be used in a library material.
In order to create a material library for yourself, you can use the free program Kerkythea.
It comes with an advanced material editor with which you edit materials, employ procedural materials, and save libraries.
You can direct Twilight to see Kerkythea's library materials, or you can copy any library folder over to Twilight's materials folder in Google SketchUp's plugins folder.
In Kerkythea, there are several powerful procedural materials created as a plugin for Kerkythea. Those you must download from the Kerkythea forum and install yourself following their instructions.
Then those may also be used with Twilight. (They are automatically installed with Twilight.)

michelh59
SketchUp: 8

Post by michelh59 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:42 am

Hello Fletch,
I only forgot Kerkythea to make the textures ! :wall:
Regards

Bonjour Fletch,
J'ai simplement oublié Kerkythea ! :wall:
Cordialement
Intel Core i7 2630 QM - 2,00 GHz
4 Go de Ram

mplishka

Post by mplishka » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:25 am

Can I somehow have Twilight see the materials in the Sketchup plugins folder as well as the Kerkythea material folder? Or do I have to copy from Kthea?

thanks!

massimo
SketchUp: 7.1 pro

Post by massimo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:17 am

:)
Attachments
Cattura.JPG
Cattura.JPG (162.59 KiB) Viewed 18004 times

mplishka

Post by mplishka » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Thank you!!!

payden

Post by payden » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:17 am

Fletch or anyone+
I have yet to figure out how to use a procedural in Twilight....I'm very familiar with them from using Kerkythea, but when you say
"Then those may also be used with Twilight. (They are automatically installed with Twilight.)"
How do I use them, when I initially downloaded twilight, that was one of the first things I saw in the program file of twilight.....They're there for a reason, I just don't know how to apply it. I've looked through the manual, and it doesn't mention anything about procedurals....So other than saving a procedural into a kerky material that is then applied to Twilight, can procedurals be used directly in Twilight?

Let me know please

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Kerkythea serves as an external render studio and advanced material editor for Twilight Render.
Twilight Render simplifies hundreds of things about using SketchUp with Kerkythea, but one thing Kerkythea allows you to do is advanced material editing, including using procedural materials (like Perlin Noise, Wireframe, Marble, Vernoi, etc.)

If you create a material using Kerkythea, and it in corporates one of the procedural materials, then you save the library in Kerkyhthea. Then you apply that material inside of SketchUp via Twilight's ability to use any Kerkythea material library, then your material will render in Twilight/SketchUp. The procedural materials will render perfectly.

The thing you can not do within Twilight is change the settings of that procedural (change the scale, color, or other parameters of the Perlin Noise, or Fresnel, or Vernoi, or Marble, etc.)

In Twilight v2.0 you will have full control over these procedurals from within the SketchUp/Twilight interface.

The Templates of Twilight Render's material dialog allow you to already use Wireframe procedural within SketchUp to get the edges of your models to show up, etc.
The Templates allow you to create complex materials, like shiny plastic, fast rendering metal, many many other materials that Kerkythea can create. But with Twilight it's only a click of the mouse, when you could spend hours trying to create them in Kerkythea.

So there are hundreds of ways Twilight is easier than Kerkythea, but KT is still there for you as an advanced material editor when you need it.

payden

Post by payden » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Where is the wireframe procedural template, are you saying the current version or 2.0 has the wireframe?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:22 am

Wireframe procedural is activated in Twilight with the checkbox in the Twilight Render Material editor.
Please read the manual, it explains everything.
The link is in my signature if you do not already have it.