How to add a logo to a wall

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
bluey01

How to add a logo to a wall

Post by bluey01 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:39 pm

New user alert!

I want to add a logo to a plain wall in a model.

I've tried adding it as texture but it multiplies the logo over the entire wall.

How do I set the position and size of a single logo on a wall?

I used to render in Artlantis, it liked .psd files for the logos, same in Twilight?

derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

Re: How to add a logo to a wall

Post by derei » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:01 pm

First you need the wall. One cannot add a logo on a wall if the wall is missing.
Second, you need the logo. And you need to know how the logo is supposed to look (painted, or relief, carved... depends)
Third... you need to know how big will be the logo.

Then are several procedures depending on what exactly you want. Let's say you want it painted on a white wall
-make sure that your logo image has the same background like the wall's color (white in this case)
-make a rectangle that covers the size of the logo and paint it with your logo (make the rectangle as component and paint the face, not the component)
-place the rectangle on the wall where you need the logo, but add some distance between logo and wall (let's say 0.5-1mm)
-be sure to use the same material template for both wall and logo.

If you need to place it over a textured wall, use a PNG with Alpha channel for logo. But, beware... TL doesn't interpret alpha levels. It'e either 100% transparent or 100% opaque.

you can add bump map now

Or you can simply model the logo's contour and extrude it (push-pull).

P.S. - often visual example or even the model itself makes easier to get help ;)
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:13 pm

The simplest way is just import the logo as an Image in SketchUp, and draw it on to your wall. Twilight Render will render variable alpha levels for Images (just not materials).

bluey01

Post by bluey01 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:36 pm

so TL does support alpha levels?

otherwise i'll have to amend every logo to have the wall colour which is alot of extra work.

In the past just used a .psd file to lay the logo on the wall with the logo background invisible

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:37 pm

As long as it is imported and used as an Image in SU, yes. If you use it in a material, it will clip the alpha at 50%.

bluey01

Post by bluey01 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:54 am

Chris

Thanks for the advice, saved me a lot of time, did a simple sample to show how it works

thanks

Bluey01
Attachments
logo sample.png
logo sample.png (42.44 KiB) Viewed 11250 times