Bump Maps

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
brianmccuk

Bump Maps

Post by brianmccuk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:46 pm

Can anyone help? Ive been playing about with bump maps but Im not sure if im being to picky or using the wrong settings but I think mine look a bit blurred. See the attached image. The one on the right is the texture with the bump map attached.
Attachments
test.jpg
test.jpg (528.71 KiB) Viewed 8009 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Bump Maps

Post by Fletch » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Welcome Brian, keep in mind that Bump Maps will give the effect of "bumpiness" to a surface, but it does not actually modify the mesh adding geometry and therefore actually making it bumpy. in most cases, you do not want bump effect to be greater than "1". It may be that you've increased the "power" of the bump to greater than 5 or 10, and this can have negative effects on the quality of the materials.

Also, when testing the "bump" effect of a material, the lighting really matters a lot, plus the render setting used can have a great effect. I suggest using Easy 08 for your testing of this scene, and maybe use a spotlight near the face of the wall and turn off sun and sky. See the topics below, I believe one or two contain actual test scenes.

I hope these topics can help you sort out the problem.
If you post a test scene we will be happy to take a look.
Be sure to read the User Manual regarding Bump Maps

Subject: Master List of Resources
Subject: How to create a Specular Map or Bump Map [Video]
Subject: Tile - bump and specular maps and scene
Subject: How to make a bump map from a diffuse texture photo
Subject: Textures: American Olean St. Germain Ceramic Tile

brianmccuk

Post by brianmccuk » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks Fletch.

Ive been mucking about with the attached scene. I cut the bump map level down to 1. Just a draft render on setting 8 to save time.

Brian
Attachments
test6.jpg
test6.jpg (416.38 KiB) Viewed 8002 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:10 pm

[quote="brianmccuk"}...the attached scene...[/quote]
I don't see any scene attached, but when rendered from this distance, it looks ok to me.
Can you post the bump map for the brick? Did you look closely at the other threads about creating bump maps?

The roof looks really strange... you have modeled the ridges at the edges of the shingles or tiles, but it's not realistic in scale.