Color Bleed control ?

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Color Bleed control ?

Post by Fletch » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:47 pm

:hat:
Look how in that test the 70% brightness setting for the green floor gave the most realistic results - good to know! :)

dtr

Post by dtr » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:59 pm

Hello Fletch
The solution I am looking for is 'Global' not just a single color saturation setting.
Your solution just changes the creative color I may have chosen.
(by the way none of my project colors/materials are ever 100% saturated)
Artlantis just has a slider that globally adjusts "color bleed" and works very well.
Atl is just not my favorite app for overall render purposes.
In TWR this would probably require more than one preset for each desired global saturation level.
There must be a line (or lines) of code in the presets that cover the global setting issue for color bounce.
I just cannot figure out what they may be.
This is a well known problem in radiosity/photon mapping renders.
That's all folks.
HELP and thanks :geek:

dtr

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:11 pm

No, there is no setting in the preset other than the Irradiance Scale to control the intensity of irradiance or change the color of the irradiance.

dtr

Post by dtr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:18 am

Chris

Thanks, :dftt: I got it and will check it out again

dtr

dtr

Post by dtr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:49 am

Hello All

OK I know that what I want to do is not physically correct but to make color bounce OK for me I would like better control over just how much is set globally or no bleed at all for exterior renders.
TWR does not seem to have that option but works fine for interiors and closed spaces.
But BINGO
In the advanced options using KT Boost under Scenes just switch off Linear Light Flow.
(not my idea) and with a reduction in exposure and gamma it will work.
Apologies for grinding on this nonsense.
Many thanks for the really super support from Fletch and Chris.
I'm done I promise.

dtr

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:01 pm

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can turn off linear lightflow in the Twilight Render settings. Search the word in the render setting you desire to change.
Again, I'm glad you found something that works for you. But I want other users to avoid this "solution" as it will cause other problems.

So, this message to all (DTR excluded of course :hat: ):
It is NOT suggested that any user disable Linear Lightflow. The automatic implementation of linear lightflow makes rendering from SketchUp many times simpler. Linear lightflow was a massive topic discussed endlessly when radiosity render engines first started to gain popularity more than 10 years ago. The fact that it's not even mentioned on forums any more tells us that it's the right thing to do - automatic linear lightflow management of the color of textures compensating for gamma and exposure/saturation.

The real solution is simple - build materials correctly. Reduce brightness of strong colors to 70%. Use realistically bright colors which are the color of the surface in flat grey in-direct lighting.
When creating Twilight we debated forcing saturated colors to be automatically reduced in order to avoid this "color bleeding" that appears to be the issue for you. We decided that it was against our philosophy of freedom of artistic expression. We do perform a slight reduction automatically especially for white just to help the average user start out to avoid major light flares, render artifacts, noise, and longer render times. But we wanted to avoid more draconian measures of material manipulation.

dtr

Post by dtr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Fletch

My lips are sealed :rspkt:

Dave

dtr

Post by dtr » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:51 pm

Fletch/Chris
Linear light flow is not noted as such in the Pre-sets.
the lever for same please.
Just what to comment out??
You may PM to me if you please-Please

Dave

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:14 pm

:hat:
Attachments
linlightflow.jpg
linlightflow.jpg (184.46 KiB) Viewed 11336 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Actually you can't change it (well, you can but it is ignored). TWR sets the Linear Light Flow based on whether the background image is HDR or not (off for HDR, on for everything else including no image, physical sky, etc). So no matter what you set it to it will get overwritten.