Can Light and 2x2 or 2x4 Standard Ceilight Light Components

Materials, models, and resources from the Twilight Render Team
sixdemonblues

Re: Can Light and 2x2 or 2x4 Standard Ceilight Light Components

Post by sixdemonblues » Tue May 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Hi All,

First time poster and new Twilight user. Been trying to get familiar with the basics of light creation and placement. I downloaded the component resources from the post and have been trying to incorporate them into a basic model. It's a 50'x50' box with a floor and a ceiling. The walls have a thickness of 3 1/2". The ceiling and floor have no thickness and are just plain faces. When I insert the components into the model they want to snap to a face, be it walls, ceilings, whatever. Based on the tutorial video in this post, that appears to be the way they should want to behave. However, when I place them on the face and attempt to render, it looks like they're inappropriately conflicting with the geometry. See the attached links for exactly what it is I'm seeing:
Light Component Render.jpg
Light Component Render.jpg (118.64 KiB) Viewed 12931 times
Light Component Model.JPG
Light Component Model.JPG (141.75 KiB) Viewed 12931 times

I feel like I must be doing something wrong here, but I don't know what it is. Can anyone help?

Thanks so much

*images attached to post by admin

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Can Light and 2x2 or 2x4 Standard Ceilight Light Components

Post by Fletch » Wed May 15, 2019 7:42 am

Hello sixdemonblues,
You are correct, it should be automatically cutting a hole in your surfaces, but it appears not to be working in your case for some reason. :!

In our experience this happens if the ceiling or wall is inside of a group or component. Is your architecture inside of groups or components? If so, you must be inside of the group or component before you add the light fixture component. Holes are not cut by SU from outside of the group.

Assuming that in your case the ceiling and floors are not in a component, that means something odd is happening.
We just downloaded the pack and started a new file in SketchUp 2018 and inserted the components, they work ok.
What version of SU are you using? Mac/Windows?