130 Free XFrog Trees

A place for users to put their materials for everyone to share
JeZ
SketchUp: 8.0 pro

Re: 130 Free XFrog Trees

Post by JeZ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Thanks Gaieus. This is a quite enlightening post.

Frankly I dont even bother trying to import obj files (anyway for that kind of models). It takes at least 10x time for the same 3ds file.

Maybe 3ds files in SU are less smooth or not as good... I dont know...

I think Xfrog trees are rather nice, though the branches and trunk are very "polygonal".

I attached some renders I did a couple weeks ago. I did the translucency trick in kerkythea which worked well. Then I tried to add some gloss to the leaves, but I could not figure how to do it properly. There are weird reflections going on the back faces of the leaves :!

I must say I quite like the tree in the studio shot, with the biggest piece of glass ever :lol: Theres no boundary with rendering :D
Attachments
arbre2.jpg
arbre2.jpg (114.54 KiB) Viewed 7800 times
arbre3.jpg
arbre3.jpg (225.92 KiB) Viewed 7801 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:01 pm

One may quickly and simply reduce the size of the xfrog tree file inserted into SketchUp by simply saving the texture at a a reasonable resolution in .png format.
I found the textures to be extremely high-resolution, while most of the time one would never render a tree up that close to the camera.

JeZ
SketchUp: 8.0 pro

Post by JeZ » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:08 pm

Fletch wrote:One may quickly and simply reduce the size of the xfrog tree file inserted into SketchUp by simply saving the texture at a a reasonable resolution in .png format.
I found the textures to be extremely high-resolution, while most of the time one would never render a tree up that close to the camera.
totally agree. In fact, I dont understand why the leaves textures are that huge compared to the bark texture... :!

Gareth
SketchUp: SU8 to SU2019 Pro

Post by Gareth » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:38 am

Ron_Bruins wrote:I tried to import a few myself but ran into the following:

importing OBJ
- faces on branches are triangulated and the triangles are front/back faced per triangulated square
So faces have to be manually flipped?
- everything is one piece, no subgroups or components for leaves / branches, etc.

importing 3DS
- faces on branches are missing, only edges are seen
So edges have to be drawed over a current edge to fill the face again

Does anyone else experienced this and how to solve this in an easy way?

yep...not quite the same issue but it happened to couple of trees when i used the 'Clean Up' tool (some branches and portions of the trunk disappeared...!)

which ones are you having trouble with..??