Twilight V2 and Skatter

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Twilight V2 and Skatter

Post by Chris » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Phil, did you check that Skatter is enabled in the Render Editor? Under Settings -> Advanced Settings there should be a checkbox for Skatter.

Phil Meadows

Post by Phil Meadows » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:02 pm

OK problem solved. I reinstalled Twilight from a fresh download and got a new license code. Everything is working now. I had forgotten about the licensing issue I had before we went on lockdown here. All good now, thanks for everyone's help.
Attachments
Skatter Twilight Sketchup 003.png
Skatter Twilight Sketchup 003.png (926.4 KiB) Viewed 26368 times

andresalonsos1989

Post by andresalonsos1989 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:07 pm

I cant, i have the recent twilight pro. I made all the steps and it doesnt apears anything, someone have a youtube video? :/

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:52 pm

Please follow these steps carefully.
Tutorial and Announcement for Skatter
Subject: Create a Lush Grass Lawn with Skatter Plugin #Skatter
Fletch wrote: Tue May 17, 2016 4:41 pm Skatter is a separate plugin for sale now that works with SketchUp http://getskatter.com/ and renders natively with Twilight Render 2.4.6.

It has a super easy setup for creating lawns in SketchUp.
These lawns render great with Twilight Render Unbiased render settings.

To get a great lawn instantly using Skatter with Twilight Render, see the tutorial on our announcement.

It has been supported by Twilight Render since its release. Be sure you have the latest version of Twilight.

Subject: Twilight V2 and Skatter
Chris wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:41 pm I just tried 2020 and it is working there too. My first run through, it didn't render but that was because I missed a step. Here are the steps I followed:
  • Create a "floor" component made from a rectangle
  • Open the Skatter editor
  • Open the Skatter Library
  • Choose one of the grass models from the Skatter library and select "Full Geometry" and "Render Only"
  • In the Skatter editor, click the Hosts - Add button and click on the floor component previously created. Note that the preview will show the grass fully populated on the floor.
  • If not already checked, click and check Render Only in the Skatter editor.
  • Click (re)Generate! I missed this step the first time because the preview populated right away in the last step. But you still MUST click it.
  • Render (probably with Interior/Interior+)

lekjaz

Post by lekjaz » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:53 am

At the risk of bumping an old thread, I just want to say that Chris' description works perfectly for Skatter v2 objects, which I just got last night :D Even the border objects come through as borders without any extra tweaking

Just a recommendation: the procedure for importing an external proxy as described in the official Twilight documentation does *not* work for skatter objects. I got a willow tree to render last night with Chris' description (after a couple of beers) and then this morning I forgot and went to the official documentation and it didn't work. After a half an hour of frustration, I rediscovered this thread and now I'm happily skattering grass and daisies... 8-)

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback! What official documentation are you referring to? If we have something out of date, we should update it! :D

SeveLaro19

Post by SeveLaro19 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:43 am

Hi Phil Meadows,
Does this mean that you have to take the paid version of Twilight Render for skatter to work? Does Skatter only work on the paid version of Twilight Render? Does this mean that you have to take the paid version of Twilight Render for skatter to work? Does Skatter only work on the paid version of Twilight Render? Because I don't see any checkboxes in the Render Editor.
Many thanks for your help,

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:53 am

SeveLaro19 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:43 am Hi Phil Meadows,
Does this mean that you have to take the paid version of Twilight Render for skatter to work? Does Skatter only work on the paid version of Twilight Render? Does this mean that you have to take the paid version of Twilight Render for skatter to work? Does Skatter only work on the paid version of Twilight Render? Because I don't see any checkboxes in the Render Editor.
Many thanks for your help,
not Phil here, but I can answer: Skatter DOES require Twilight Render Pro V2
Subject: Twilight Pro v2 compatibility with Skatter 2 plugin for SketchUp
Fletch wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:11 pm Skatter has a 15 day free trial and we encourage you to try it for yourself on your computer setup.

It is confirmed that Skatter V2 works fine for us in SketchUp Pro 2022 and Twilight V2 latest version on Windows 10.
"Render Only" mode or "In Model" mode both work fine. Grass looks good at default. But if you want to tweak any materials you must choose "In Model" mode and then you can select materials to edit them with Twilight Material properties.

When you download the content you will need to download the full geometry "hi-poly" version of the content, not the proxy version.

The grass and the gravel are from Skatter 2 in this image.

SeveLaro19

Post by SeveLaro19 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:32 pm

Hi Fletch and thank you,
Well, if I understand correctly, I therefore need twilight render PRO? Because mine is the last version of "hobby" one.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:08 pm

For Skatter you need Pro, but for other component skattering plugins you should not. For instance "Fur" plugin or Fredo's Component Spray or his Ghost plugins should work fine.