black textured paint

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
eddy00

black textured paint

Post by eddy00 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:37 am

How do I get a finish like in the picture below? I mean without using photo textures.
Attachments
txtre.jpg
txtre.jpg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 4950 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: black textured paint

Post by Fletch » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:43 am

Hi eddy, there are 2 ways, the easy way and the more technically accurate way which will look more realistic.

The easy way is to paint the image onto your object in your model.
Apply the Material Template "Paint>Satin" or "Paint>Gloss" whichever you prefer.
Then click the chain next to the Bump Channel for the material to link the bump to the image.
You can adjust the strength of the bump effect down from the default "1" to .5 or whatever you like. (you can increase it, but I would not go above 3.)

Keep in mind that the effect will be best scene in direct sunlight situation in your rendering. The angle of the camera to the surface is also important.

The more technically accurate way is to create a proper bump map from your image.

A proper bump map it white where you want the bumps to be "highest" and 50% gray where you want no bump and black where you want the bumps to be "lowest".
So, you can see from the image provided, that it will be trying to make indentations where there is black right next to the high points where there is white, while leaving the gray part of the image flat. This is not really what you want. The gray part of your image should be made black, and the white and black part of your image should be made white. Then the image should be blurred slightly to get a smooth transition between the "bumps down" and the "bumps up".

See attached example I made using your image provided. (I also made it tile seamlessly now. The image provided will have obvious seams where the image repeats itself.)

Now you can apply your Material Template "Paint>Glossy"
Now you can add that new image into the bump slot for the proper bump mapping.

Keep in mind that the angle of view and the lighting must be reasonable for you to see the effect. An object simply floating in a clear blue sky will not likely do any justice to the effect.

An idea would be to use the image texture to drive only the bump. Similar to how it was done here with water: Realistic Water - Fast - in Twilight Render
Attachments
Paint-Bump.jpg
Paint-Bump.jpg (81.63 KiB) Viewed 4950 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: black textured paint

Post by Fletch » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:21 pm

If you do not want to use Photo Textures:
You will have to use a procedural bump. This will be easy for you if you already know how to use Kerkythea. Create the material and save the library. Follow these instructions (the material itself will be slightly different, but the general process is the same).