Two sided material?

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
LauraCristescu

Two sided material?

Post by LauraCristescu » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:50 am

Is there a way to create a 2 sided material in Twilight. I.e: I see through the material, but it still casts a full shadow? If i use section cut, the shadow disappears..

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Two sided material?

Post by Fletch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:24 am

What do you mean by "two-sided material" please?
Can you show a picture example of a material you are trying to achieve?

In SketchUp you are allowed to paint the front of a face with wood texture, while the back of the same face is painted with grass texture. This is not possible with Twilight.

But it sounds like you want a material to be transparent or translucent - if so, paint the front face with any color, and apply Template>Translucent>Leaf or Template>Translucent>Thin Curtain
Then you can control the opacity of the material via the Opacity of the Matieral in the SketchUp Material Dialog or via the Pull-down Menu in the Twilight Template Material Dialog - at the bottom of the dialog look for "SketchUp \/ " and "Alpha %"
The translucency of a material in Twilight Translucent Template is effected by both the Alpha % ("Opacity" in SketchUp Dialog) and the "Scattering %" in the Twilight Template Material Dialog. The higher the scattering, the more opaque the material will appear.

When using the Template Material "Translucent" - it is recommended to change the Preview Scene to be the "Preview>Scene>Translucent Face" - this is if you are using a model in SketchUp that is only a single surface like a single pane of glass or a leaf or a curtain. Use the "Preview>Scene>Translucent Solid" if you are using a model in SketchUp that is thick... like a glass with thickness or a lampshade that is built with a thickness.

If you are rendering with Easy 1-7 you can turn off shadow for any material in the "Advanced" pulldown menu in the Twilight Template Material Dialog just uncheck the "Cast Shadow" box.

squall25
SketchUp: 2019

Post by squall25 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:57 am

Was not the original poster's question but your comment sparked a question for me.

I have a corrugate box but it's currently flat. I am using Fredo animator to show it being folded. The white side in the image is technically the reverse side and the blue and gold side is the front with material applied to it. Obviously, when you use twilight render, the reverse will essentially bleed the material to the front. I assume The only way to prevent this is to add a thickness to the corrguate. I always struggle with this because when there's a thickness to the panels, it creates z-fighting. In real world, the corrugate cardboard is scored and folded.
Attachments
reverse side.png
reverse side.png (217.15 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
front side.png
front side.png (2.23 MiB) Viewed 5625 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:02 pm

squall25 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:57 am I assume The only way to prevent this is to add a thickness to the corrguate. I always struggle with this because when there's a thickness to the panels, it creates z-fighting.
Thickness is indeed the only way to prevent this. The z-fighting may not be a problem, it depends on what parts are z-fighting and if they are seen in the camera view. Try a short 5 frame/sec test animation to find out. :! :geek:

If, after you add thickness, you pull in the sides a little to make the corners bevelled at 45 degrees, then it would be cool. 8-)
Fredo's bevel tool could do this for you quickly and easily.
Attachments
cardboard-folding-box.skp
(64.54 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
cardboard-folding-box.jpg
cardboard-folding-box.jpg (55.78 KiB) Viewed 5613 times