Reducing aliasing for large amounts of repeated components?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Lemures

Reducing aliasing for large amounts of repeated components?

Post by Lemures » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:17 pm

I'm trying to render a large scale solar array. Here I have taken a rendered part of it and overlayed it with a drone photo of the area in Photoshop. https://imgur.com/a/vlpVJbU . You can see that there is severe aliasing in the back.

Here you can see the up close SketchUp model for the panels. https://imgur.com/a/WmAry7K

How can I reduce that aliasing? Should I be avoiding the small cracks between the panels (though those exist in real life and some shots may be rendered much closer)? Should I be chamfering edges? I'm still quite new to using Twilight and would like to understand the options I have for reducing aliasing.
Attachments
TRXVCiz.png
TRXVCiz.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1694 times
teBiLaG.png
teBiLaG.png (2.13 MiB) Viewed 1694 times

Lemures

Re: Reducing aliasing for large amounts of repeated components?

Post by Lemures » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:21 pm

Additionally, I would be interested in learning if there are any ways to slightly vary the hue and specularity of each solar panel. I've tried rendering a significantly higher resolution image (32000x20000 pixels) and the aliasing is still an issue due to the uniformity of everything. Maybe there would be some way to tweak each panel's orientation by just 1 degree or something to break up the aliasing?
Last edited by Lemures on Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Reducing aliasing for large amounts of repeated components?

Post by Fletch » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:44 pm

Try Easy 08 render setting first, and if it doesn't help, but it should help, then try Easy 09.

You can try the Alternative AA settings. If you are using Twilight Pro version You can edit a setting to make a new one that has better AA settings. Or you can avoid AA problems all together by rendering with Easy 08 or even better Easy 09.

You can also try the 05)Sun-Sky settings - assuming your image is only lit with Sun/Sky.

The Alt AA settings are in 02)Advanced settings.

Easy 09 will result in zero AA problems. It also is optimized for arrays of components like you have in this image.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (161.88 KiB) Viewed 1698 times