Texture & Bump

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Zacchia
SketchUp: 7.1.6860

Texture & Bump

Post by Zacchia » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:03 am

Hi again
Here is something strange: i set texture and unlink, i see it in preview. Then i link bump and adjust it (another texture then normal texture) and also i see it correctly. But now when i chance size of bump then normal texture becomes the same as bump, bump and texture becomes the same texure. Is this a bug?
Windows XP, Arcon VA HausDesigner Professional, SketchUp Pro, CasCADos 2.0.551, TheaRender, TwilightRender

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Texture & Bump

Post by Chris » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi Zacchia, I'm not completely following you, but I'll try.

You say you set the texture and unlink... so what is the texture your color channel is now using?
After unlinking, did you change the template? Changing the template automatically "re-links" the color channel.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:20 pm

a face in SketchUp can only contain a single UV map. So if you apply a UV map (i.e. apply a texture and give it a size in SketchUp), then if you apply a bump map to the same face and resize that map or move/adjust it using the Texture placement tools of SketchUp, you have just changed the UV map for the face.

This is a drawback of SketchUp.

Can you please provide an image and example of what you are trying to accomplish? Perhaps we can help? :?: :!

Zacchia

Post by Zacchia » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Chris and Fletch

I am sorry but maybe i am just stupid. I try to explain one more time. I bring the files in SU via 3ds. Because of this i need to scale the textures because they are not right scaled after import. So if i have done this i would like to apply (sometimes) a bumpmap (sometimes not the same as on color chanel) on this surface and i need to scale this texture too. So as i understand the way of link/unlink is that when i unlink the color chanel texture it is not shown anymore in preview TWL. OK then i have to load my texture again manually but then my scaling is lost again. When link the SU view to the bump chanel i can scale the bump. Or i let the scaled color chanel texture be and load the bumpmap manually but then i can not scale the bump. So as i understand it is not possible to scale both textures seperat.

I hope you have understood now. I mean it is not really a big problem it is just for me to learn what i can do and what not in TWL. Hope you guys have strong nerves... :wall:
Windows XP, Arcon VA HausDesigner Professional, SketchUp Pro, CasCADos 2.0.551, TheaRender, TwilightRender

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:11 pm

there is currently no simple way to scale the bump and texture maps separately. By scaling one, you scale the other.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Texturing is positioned by UV coordinates. Most (though not all) modeling applications only allow you to specify 1 set of UV coordinates. So there is no way to have separate texture cooridantes, or 'sizes' for color and bump.

Additionally, SU only allows you to 'display' one texture at a time on any one surface. So if you link the color channel and set a texture, you get the color image. If you link the bump channel and set a texture (if the color channel is unlinked), it will always replace the texture you see in SU. Because you can only ever have one.

So hopefully this answers your question? :whistle:

Zacchia

Post by Zacchia » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:06 am

OK, it is like it is and i can stop searching something what is not possible. I spend my focus now moore to other things in TWL and thanks again for your support. :gj:

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:17 am

well, you can of course manually scale the bump map differently, but as I said it's a 'work-around', not native and simple like most things in Twilight.

Again, I would love to see an example of what you are trying to accomplish...

The other option,
you can of course create a material like you desire using Kerkythea and use the material library with Twilight.

Zacchia

Post by Zacchia » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:37 am

Fletch wrote: Again, I would love to see an example of what you are trying to accomplish...
Just trying to create materials with different textures for color and bump like it is possible in KT nothing more....

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:33 pm

Can't you take any texture you create in Kerkythea, save to library, and apply in Twilight. ? :?