New User - Dark Interiors

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
DapperDan

New User - Dark Interiors

Post by DapperDan » Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:59 pm

I have (attempted) to attach a render and a cooresponding screen shot of a Sketchup model.
[Actually, I don't see a way to post an image. Am I supposed to upload my image somewhere else, and post a link?]
[EDIT:
I posted files below.]

The window faces South, and there are no lights other then the Sun.
In reality, the room would be flooded with light, but all my interiors are dark except for where the sun falls directly on them.
Am I supposed to modify every Sketchup material to make this program work?

Is this just how it is using Twilight, or is there something I have done wrong? All of the materials are stock Sketchup materials. I have not applied Twiilight edits to them.

Thanks for taking a look.

DD

Last edited by DapperDan on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: New User - Dark Interiors

Post by Fletch » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:01 pm

:welcome: Dapper Dan!

These are very common first-timer questions. No worries, we will help you out. :hat:

No you don't have to modify every material. If you have Twilight Render Pro all of the default SketchUp materials will render with their Twilight Render equivalent materials (glass, water, wood, stone, etc.). However, if you are using the free hobby version, then you need to apply the Architectural Glass Common template to your window glass.

If your interiors are dark, you need to increase exposure of your image, just as your camera automatically increases exposure when you are inside with sun coming from outside. I also usually put emitter planes on all my windows, and I render with Easy 09 and Fastforward denoise addon for Twilight. I get great images in minutes with this approach.

Please watch our 6 Essentials video tutorial series linked in my signature below - it should cover all the basics for you.

In addition, see the video about sun through a window with sky portal material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOeefZmVIB4

See also these posts about sun through a window and exposure:
Subject: Low illumination issues (includes downloads)
Subject: Light Through a Window

tuna57
SketchUp: SU 2015Pro SU2018Pro

Post by tuna57 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:48 pm

DapperDan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:59 pm I have (attempted) to attach a render and a cooresponding screen shot of a Sketchup model.
[Actually, I don't see a way to post an image. Am I supposed to upload my image somewhere else, and post a link?]
There is a small tab below the message window labeled “attachments” , click on that and you’ll get an “add file” button to take you where the image is for selecting or you can drag and drop your image into the message window.
TwilightPro V2.11

DapperDan

Post by DapperDan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:51 pm

Here is a screenshot of the SketchUp view showing the Twilight Render settings I used.

I suppose I have the hobby version. I attempted to download pro version, but I'm not buying it until I can see if it works.
Vanity.png
Vanity.png (3.51 MiB) Viewed 10868 times
Here is the resulting render. The glass is grey tinted from the Sketchbook defaults.
It seems there should be reflected light in this room. The window faces South and is high in the sky.
Van.jpg
Van.jpg (284.99 KiB) Viewed 10868 times

Here I have removed the glass altogether. There is nothing in the window.
Again, shadows are too dark. There is very little reflected light working here.

Van no glass.jpg
Van no glass.jpg (304.91 KiB) Viewed 10868 times

DapperDan

Post by DapperDan » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:31 am

Fletch wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:01 pm :welcome: Dapper Dan!

These are very common first-timer questions. No worries, we will help you out. :hat:

No you don't have to modify every material. If you have Twilight Render Pro all of the default SketchUp materials will render with their Twilight Render equivalent materials (glass, water, wood, stone, etc.). However, if you are using the free hobby version, then you need to apply the Architectural Glass Common template to your window glass.

If your interiors are dark, you need to increase exposure of your image, just as your camera automatically increases exposure when you are inside with sun coming from outside. I also usually put emitter planes on all my windows, and I render with Easy 09 and Fastforward denoise addon for Twilight. I get great images in minutes with this approach.

Please watch our 6 Essentials video tutorial series linked in my signature below - it should cover all the basics for you.

In addition, see the video about sun through a window with sky portal material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOeefZmVIB4

See also these posts about sun through a window and exposure:
Subject: Low illumination issues (includes downloads)
Subject: Light Through a Window
Thanks for the suggestions but that does not work.
I've watched some of the tutorials and read the light through the windows threads. See my results above.

DapperDan

Post by DapperDan » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:54 pm

tuna57 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:48 pm
DapperDan wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:59 pm I have (attempted) to attach a render and a cooresponding screen shot of a Sketchup model.
There is a small tab below the message window labeled “attachments” , click on that and you’ll get an “add file” button to take you where the image is for selecting or you can drag and drop your image into the message window.
Thanks for the pointer.
Any idea on what's going on with my renders? I added some images above.

tuna57
SketchUp: SU 2015Pro SU2018Pro

Post by tuna57 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:59 pm

If you’re able to share the model it would eliminate a lot of guesswork at how you have things setup.
TwilightPro V2.11

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:35 am

:>: :>: :>: Download Twilight support edited scene here. Did you download this free example scene to try for yourself?

Without the scene to diagnose, it's all just guesses from our end.
Please post link to scene for further diagnostics. Please also share the specs for your rendering rig.

Any idea on what's going on with my renders? I added some images above.
Hi Dan, which render setting are you using? What post-processing and exposure settings are you using?
DapperDan wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:31 am Thanks for the suggestions but that does not work.
I've watched some of the tutorials and read the light through the windows threads. See my results above.
Can you be more specific as to what you tried so I know how to help further? Your image posted above was not rendered with Easy 09 or even Easy04, and have the post process settings been applied as I posted in my screenshot above?

Here are some interiors I've done over the past year and you can make them with Hobby version if you follow my advice.