Problem with rendering, need help please

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
MEM

Re: Problem with rendering, need help please

Post by MEM » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:08 am

Well, Chris, you were correct yet again, mea culpa for not noticing, but honestly I don't understand how the bump map got applied, since I copied pasted it from an original that didn't have texture but color selected. So I guess the settings (options selected in the Template materials) do not follow when we copy and paste a component from another SKP document to a new one, is that right ?

I have a lot to learn, but I'll remember what you taught me.

Thank you so much again for your patience and caring help.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:35 am

MEM wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:08 am So I guess the settings (options selected in the Template materials) do not follow when we copy and paste a component from another SKP document to a new one, is that right ?
That is strange, if you copied a face with a texture and material template applied in Example.skp and pasted this face into NewModel.skp, then all the material settings should remain the same. (if you are on an office network, and the bump or specular texture maps are located on your office network drive, then if you take that model home to work on you will not have those texture maps any longer. So be careful with textures located on networks.)

It can happen that we sometimes accidentally change something and don't notice it right away, this happens to the best of us. :oops: One person asked us why his image was taking so long to render - after opening the scene and some hard searching I discovered that they had accidentally applied Light Emitting Material template to major materials in the scene but at very low wattage... meaning that they now had thousands of essentially invisible lights to calculate. :totgm: :whistle:

MEM

Post by MEM » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:55 am

Well, I guess mistakes are very possible, but I was almost certain that specific time I copied pasted into a new SKP document, in which I hadn't had the time to change template material settings at all (and I copied pasted from my home PC to my very same home PC, just a new SKP file with new SKP window :lol: so it can't be about switching computer network).

I tried copying again, and the settings were intact, so hey, maybe it was just that, simple mistake. :totgm:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:38 pm

MEM wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:55 am Well, I guess mistakes are very possible, ...
I tried copying again, and the settings were intact, so hey, maybe it was just that, simple mistake. :totgm:
Can happen to anybody :^: :welcome: