Krita/Sketchbook Learning Discussion

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Krita/Sketchbook Learning Discussion

Post by ntxdave » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:53 pm

***moved by admin to organize discussion/remain on-topic :hat: ***

OK - Still a lot of learning in Krita but here is a start to my "Ohio" idea.......................
OHIO - start
OHIO - start
Ohio - Outline Start.png (148.42 KiB) Viewed 10450 times
I went ot SketchUp and created the outline then I brought it into Krita and did some "tracing" to get the basis for where i am going to try to go.

Some things that I still have to figure out:
  • I have tried to use the Bezier Curve tool but have not got it right now. I wanted to use it on the Os but could not get it to work. I used the elipse and eraser to get some of the curved lines I wanted. :wall:
  • I tried to turn on the guides in Krita but could not get a grid that matched (even come close) to the perspective I brought over from SketchUp. Need to understand this better.
  • I need to learn more of the Krita tools so I can experiment with some of my ideas that are lurking in the back of my brain. As an example, I have in mind turning the first O into a fountain and the second one will be a garden or park. :rofl:
Bottom line is that it is a start. It is going to take some time and patience. :whoot: :rofl:
Last edited by ntxdave on Wed May 10, 2023 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

majid
SketchUp: make 2017

Re: Alphabet inspired sketches

Post by majid » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:13 am

ntxdave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:53 pm ....
Some things that I still have to figure out:
  • I have tried to use the Bezier Curve tool but have not got it right now. I wanted to use it on the Os but could not get it to work. I used the ellipse and eraser to get some of the curved lines I wanted. :wall:
I do select an ellipse shape using the "Bezier select tool" with 5 times click-drag on "turning points" of it...
ntxdave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:53 pm
  • I tried to turn on the guides in Krita but could not get a grid that matched (even come close) to the perspective I brought over from SketchUp. Need to understand this better.

It works failry similar to the "Photo match" tool in SketchUp. The difference is that in Krita, one starts from the horizon line, then adds the points and adjusts them to match the perspective, I matched it to the OHIO image.
ntxdave wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:53 pm
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (126.41 KiB) Viewed 10441 times
  • I need to learn more of the Krita tools so I can experiment with some of my ideas that are lurking in the back of my brain. As an example, I have in mind turning the first O into a fountain and the second one will be a garden or park. :rofl:
Bottom line is that it is a start. It is going to take some time and patience. :whoot: :rofl:
:^:

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:24 pm

majid wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:13 am It works failry similar to the "Photo match" tool in SketchUp. The difference is that in Krita, one starts from the horizon line, then adds the points and adjusts them to match the perspective, I matched it to the OHIO image.
Thanks Majid. I need to try this some more. When I have tried before I thought I had to start with a horizon on both sides of the page and that seemed to get me no where but in a mess. As I said before, at least I have a start so I just have to keep trying/learning. I watched some more videos yesterday about the Bézier curve tool and made some progress with it but still am a little confused about the vector layer feature and filling objects. Also curious abut how you drew the guide lines in red.

Personally, I do not like the Krita documentation at all. Having written user documentation for software in the past I think it could be TONS better. Not good for beginners IMO.

Are your books available/going to be available in paperback? Maybe you could write and sell a book on how to use Krita. :whoot:

majid

Post by majid » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:56 pm

There are two different tools in Krita that benefit the Bezier; Bezier select tool( which is a selecting tool) and Bezier curve tool ( which is in-fact a brush). Which one do you mean?

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:05 pm

Beizer curve tool.

majid

Post by majid » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:42 pm

This is what I know: Choose your brush, then choose the Bezier curve tool, If do click-click... and then connect both ends or hit enter. it connects those points with a straight line.
if click-drag-click, it will connect those points using a curved line with your brush of choice...
It has the capability to fill the path with a pattern also (see the tool option, please.)

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:07 pm

Yes - I think my confusion is related to something I saw in one of the videos about using the Vector Layer. Going to watch it again and see if I get a better understanding. Sometimes learning when you are "aged" can get a little tricky. :rofl:

majid

Post by majid » Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:44 pm

I don't think so. The issue of "Vector" and "Bitmap" needs clarification and rarely anybody does it.
Things such as "text"s are vector, and Images are usually "bitmaps". Krita ( and this is the same story of PhotoShop) were designed to handle "Bitmap"s and then later, during their evolution, fostered "vector" things... So we have some vector tools and the rest are bitmap tools. Keep it simple, please. It is simple.

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:30 pm

OK - This is probably/may be off topic but I went through another tutorial (this one about using the berzier curve tool). My goal right now it to learn and become comfortable with Krita so I can begin drawing things there before draing in SU. So, here is my latest drawing in Krita (yes from the bezier curve tool).
Cocanut Tree.png
Cocanut Tree.png (115.05 KiB) Viewed 10421 times
Another part of my plan is to "sketch" something very basic in Krita before going over to SU and then TR. I think my earlier things were too complicated for just beginning. :-( I need to learn basics before going overboard with complexity. :!

majid

Re: Krita learning discussion

Post by majid » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:12 pm

Thanks for sharing... :clap: