Light source behind image

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Pingo

Light source behind image

Post by Pingo » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:44 pm

Hi, I am trying to render a scene of a hockey arena from a private suite. I'm using a real image of the arena as the view from the suite. Problem is the image is blocking the light from the arena from reaching the suite. Outside of rendering this twice, with and without the image in place, is there any way to get the light through the image? I hope I have described this so it makes sense. Part of the view (image) is through glass so that's why I don't just want to place the image post production.

Thanks!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Light source behind image

Post by Fletch » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:44 pm

it depends on the render setting.
with Easy 1-7 just disable shadow casting for the material on the plane of the image showing the arena.

With Easy 9 (suggested) set a rectangle just in front of the image showing the arena. paint that rectangular plane with an emitter material, then set the power of the light emission of the material to be 1000w or maybe 5000, somewhere in between - you'll have to do some quick test renderings - and set the light emitter material to be Type: "invisible emitter".

Pingo

Re: Light source behind image

Post by Pingo » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:53 pm

Thank you Fletch, I'll give that a try!