More suggestions to make Twilight better

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

More suggestions to make Twilight better

Post by derei » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:17 pm

I posted here several suggestions regarding Material Editor in Twilight Render.
Using it I noticed that if Material Editor would have those options, I could use it in a better manner.

I think that it would be good to make the topic sticky and if some other users have their suggestions to post them here. Also, comments about posted suggestions.

Suggestions:
-There is a nice big picture showing if current channel uses Texture or Solid Color - space waisted. It's nice, indeed, but useless. Instead, we could see the used texture image, or color (on bump channel I can not have any clue about what I have there, unless I can remember the loaded file, or I check the path -both methods are inefficient).

-Custom Alpha texture. What if my Sketchup model have a reference texture, but what I want is a wood textured panel with lots of holes in it? I have two options: model the panel with holes in SU, or make the Color Texture a PNG with Alpha. But, what if I want to make the holes denser, or change their shape? Remodel or rework the texture? A custom alpha channel with x/y tiling would work.

-Bigger Material Preview (resizeable). I know, the preview render is made in real time, but I guess a check button can be done to enable/disable realtime preview. Also, some users have more powerful CPUs, and a bigger preview is a better preview :D
It could be a list with preset sizes, or a custom value, but up to a maximum (let's say 200x200px)

-Preview Scenes - now, we see full path. Difficult to identify. See yourself in the list. Showing only the name of the file it would be easier for the eye. It can be shown without .xml extension.

These are only suggestions and I am sure that can be improved.

Thank you for getting this into your attention.
Attachments
2010-11-29_203023.png
2010-11-29_203023.png (199.42 KiB) Viewed 11156 times
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: More suggestions to make Twilight better

Post by Fletch » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:05 pm

All suggestions are welcome and listened to.

As far as pointing the directory for the material previews this can already be done in the Options Dialog where you define all file directory paths. ;)

derei

Post by derei » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Fletch wrote:All suggestions are welcome and listened to.

As far as pointing the directory for the material previews this can already be done in the Options Dialog where you define all file directory paths. ;)
Indeed it is, but there you set the path for EACH file, not the directory for all files. At least this is what I have seen there. Several paths that are pointing all to C:\Program Files\Google\Google Sketchup 8\Plugins\Twiligt\Preview\[and each preview file].
A routine which scans for xml files inside a directory could reduce from 21 path entries to... one :D. This can help if the user makes its own preview scenes and puts them in separate place(s).
Like Material Libraries... when the path points out to materials directory, not to each material.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:33 am

Ah, yes, we agree completely. This will be how it is handled in next version.

derei

Post by derei » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:18 am

New suggestion: some kind of render scheduler: to be able to add in list more scenes and those scenes to be rendered one after the other, without user intervention. And, in "Progressive" settings, to be able to add when to stop each render and start the next one. (after how many passes, or how much time).
Of course, this means automatic saving of the image (at time intervals, or just at the end), so manual saving is not an option, as after each render the process is started again for next scene.

I would like to hear your opinion regarding this suggested feature.

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:52 am

Hi dereeei,

This is actually possible and in the same way you would export scenes in "batch" mode from native SU.

Render as animation and set scene transition time to 1 second, scene delay to 0 and frame per sec. (this is already in Twilight) to 1. Under the animation settings, set "Only View" and at the bottom, "reuse lighting info" (this will even speed up your rendering).

Now under the animation presets (Render tab) you can even find unbiased methods to render with 100 and with 500 passes (these are stored in an xml file you could even edit to add different values).
Gai...

derei

Post by derei » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 am

Gaieus wrote: This is actually possible and in the same way you would export scenes in "batch" mode from native SU.
Wow ! That's pretty nice! Indeed a little bit complicated, but I'm glad that's possible.
OFFTOPIC: I had no idea that you can export scenes in "batch" mode from SU. Is any post or discussion about this on SCF forum? Or is any way how I can find out how to do it?

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:40 am

Just set the transition time and scene delay as above and when exporting the animation (from SU), do not use avi (or mov on the Mac) but image sequences (change the output file type at the bottom pulldown menu) and of course, 1 fps again.

(I am also quite sure there are plugins for this but what for when you can do in two clicks anyway?9
Gai...

pdwyer
SketchUp: 2013

Post by pdwyer » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:04 am

Nice, :^:

I agree that a little interface work is in order here, I like the suggestions here too. Too add a little (very tiny addtions)

If you hit hte browse button for he bump map your default directory could either be a preselected location (of your resourced dir) or the same path as the texture for those that keep resources on a per project basis.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:51 pm

For a clear batch mode tutorial, see the Batch Mode Reference Section of the User Manual. (see link in my signature below)