Brilliant and the future

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
simontoplis

Brilliant and the future

Post by simontoplis » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Absolutely loving the plugin - haven't been this excited about sketchup since back at version 3! I am probably getting ahead of myself but have you thought about a Mac version - I am using Twilight in bootcamp on a Mac but would love to be running native in OS X. I am already totally blown away by the animation tools - the old mac pro is feeling the pressure - are there any plans for network rendering as an option (the next obvious question then is will network slaves be an additional cost?)

I have just purchased a license but yet to get the key back from yourselves - in the mean time what is the maximum render size users can typically achieve (I am running win XP in bootcamp and it only seems to recognise 2Gb of memory at the moment)

Thanks in advance

Simon

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Re: Brilliant and the future

Post by Ecuadorian » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:13 pm

simontoplis wrote:are there any plans for network rendering as an option (the next obvious question then is will network slaves be an additional cost?
As Master Obi-Wan would say, "from a certain point of view" you can already do Network rendering with free slaves if you export to Kerkythea. 8-)

Frederik
SketchUp: SU 8.0

Post by Frederik » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Network rendering sure is on the list and I'm sure Chris and/or Fletch will step in here soon, with more exact information about when they expect this to be ready... ;)
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Twilight Render Support
“…Life is drawing without an eraser...”

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi simontoplis! Welcome! :)
simontoplis wrote:Absolutely loving the plugin - haven't been this excited about sketchup since back at version 3!
Me either! :D It's so fun!
simontoplis wrote:I am probably getting ahead of myself but have you thought about a Mac version - I am using Twilight in bootcamp on a Mac but would love to be running native in OS X.
We totally understand, and are working on it. I won't give a date, but hope it will not be too long.
simontoplis wrote:I am already totally blown away by the animation tools
Thanks, glad you like them, it's a lot of fun :D
simontoplis wrote:the old mac pro is feeling the pressure - are there any plans for network rendering as an option (the next obvious question then is will network slaves be an additional cost?)
Network Rendering will be in version 2, and as with any network rendering solution the slaves will not be free, but as you can see, we are not the type of company to try to squeeze every penny from you... in comparison with some of our competitors of similar quality render engine you could buy our product AND a new computer... so, you can presume that additional slaves will be of a reasonable cost. ;)
simontoplis wrote:in the mean time what is the maximum render size users can typically achieve
In my firm we consider hi-res to be 2800px wide. I've never had a problem with that size even on a seven year old computer. RAM is very cheap, however, so if you need to upgrade your RAM... but I see it is Bootcamp that is causing the bottleneck, sorry... have no experience there. With any progressive render it will take better advantage of the RAM, so you may want to stick to them with higher res or larger scenes. With Render Settings Easy1-7, you will have to experiment and see, depends on the scene, res, texture quality, lights, etc.

Happy Rendering! Looking forward to seeing your creations...